Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390m Gaming
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
RX 480
Hello! Looking for some troubleshooting help. I just installed Mojave fresh, latest version and cannot get any signal from my RX480.

Issue - Onboard graphics worked to install the OS and continue to work within the OS, but if I plug in my card to my PCIE16 slot (or any slot) and plug in the power I do not get signal from the card or the onboard graphics, at all. The card's fans spin, but there is no display output. I tested on all HDMI, DVI and DP ports with multiple known working monitors. I have to turn off the machine and unplug the GPU to get any graphical output from the onboard graphics from the CPU.

I keep reading that there are some extra steps to take to ensure that the card is recognized if you are using Sierra, but that it should work out of the box on Mojave(?) I bought the card used and am taking home a separate setup tonight to test, just to make sure the card isn't DOA.

I did read through the readme and wonder if this section is relevant to Mojave and not just Sierra, or if I am misunderstanding something?

"Black screen on boot
This will happen with certain system profiles, e.g. MacPro6,1, iMac15,1 or iMac17,1. Read up here: Black Screen with MacPro 6,1 or iMac 15 or iMac 17 System Definition"

"Boot to Black Screen
In most cases this means that you didn't disable all graphics related bootloader settings and this injection is causing trouble.
If you're sure you did, you're most certainly using a GPU which is known to boot to a black screen, e.g. Cape Verde or Tonga. Look here for GPU-specific workarounds: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.html#post1090801
With Sierra this issue has spreaded to most modern AMD GPUs. All known workarounds involve preventing the Radeon GPU from getting initialized during boot phase, e.g. by configuring iGPU=Primary. "

I have PCI set to 1 in bios and have tried the igfx setting on auto and enabled. All with the same result.

Do I need to select a specific Mac setting in Multibeast to ensure the card is recognized?

System specs
i5 9600k
Gigabyte z390 gaming M micro-atx
2x8gb corsair vengeance 3000mhz ram
MSI Radeon RX 480 ARMOR 8G
Inland Premium 1tb m.2 nvme ssd
Corsair 750w semi modular psu

Mojave is the only OS to ever be installed on this drive or any of the hardware (although I'm sure the graphics card interacted with a windows environment at some point). Should I consider reformatting and installing High Sierra?

I will post my clover data when home later today as well. Thanks!

Last edited:
OK what the hell is this sorcery?

I re-did multibeast and made sure to include Whatevergreen/Lilu (don't think I did initially), restarted, and then froze on loading with error "airport_brcmnic_p2pinterface::init <p2p> role1"

So I said screw it let's see if I can even get to BIOS with the GPU, threw it in the system and restarted. Once again no image on the monitor (but numlock is lit up and the hdd lights are flashing, so I'm loading). I sigh and walk away to silence a barking dog, come back, and I am at the login screen for Mojave.

My 'about this mac' shows my RX480! What the hell?

Last edited:
So everything is running smoothly, graphically at least. However it doesn't seem that the GPU is initialized until MacOS starts to load, and therefore clover and BIOS is skipped. Is it possible to fix this, so I can see the BIOS load screen and clover, before MacOS initializes?

Still having issue with the GPU not showing BIOS or Clover. I can get the screen if I run HDMI to onboard graphics.

I also can't run my monitor (Dell U3415W) in DP 1.2; only 1.1 - which is weird because the system works on another Dell 34in ultrawide just fine (AW3418DW) in DP 1.2, so guessing it's a monitor issue. I tried unplugging, power cycling, etc - guess I will just have to be OK with HDMI!

Just wondering if anyone has any experience solving this. I’d love to be able to see my bios and the clover boot screen before osx loads into Mojave, without having to unplug my gpu and plug into my onboard graphics.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience solving this. I’d love to be able to see my bios and the clover boot screen before osx loads into Mojave, without having to unplug my gpu and plug into my onboard graphics.
Place lilu and whatevergreen kext EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other

Place lilu and whatevergreen kext EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other

Thanks but I have already done that and I still do not get a display output when loading bios or clover.

Thanks but I have already done that and I still do not get a display output when loading bios or clover.
Set the BIOS Internal Graphics Enabled. Then at least with iGPU you will have a picture.

Attachments

• z370miGPUenabled.jpg
    z370miGPUenabled.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 124
IGPU is on auto in BIOS. I can get to the BIOS and Clover using my IGPU (but get a "gioscreenlockstate 3..." while Mojave loads, and then screen goes black), but if I am using my GPU I do not see BIOS or Clover load. I have a black screen until I get to the login screen. That is what I am trying to solve for.

IGPU is on auto in BIOS. I can get to the BIOS and Clover using my IGPU (but get a "gioscreenlockstate 3..." while Mojave loads, and then screen goes black), but if I am using my GPU I do not see BIOS or Clover load. I have a black screen until I get to the login screen. That is what I am trying to solve for.
The "Auto" disables iGPU. "Enabled" makes iGPU and GPU available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back