Contribute
Register

RX 6700 XT is compatible with big sur?

May be Apple thinks, their M1x GPU will be enough in the mid range graphics. They support 6800, 6900 as they have no M1 equivalent.
i would like to hope that isn't because navi 22 was released a bit later. the driver work might be still in process.
being a 6700xt owner myself, i've had my fingers crossed.
The device id showing up in earlier builds is a good motivator

it will definitely be supported one day, it's simply a matter of when

Apple will undoubtedly continue to have an Intel / AMD based laptop or Mac Pro as an alternative to their M chips for development purposes for some time, not everything is ported yet and cross platform work would still in some cases ask for 'legacy' hardware

this is of course a speculative opinion, I only intend to inspire hope for this thread

has anyone had an opportunity to check the latest development build of Big Sur for an update?

Not support in MacOs 12 beta2. Sad

I'm still optimistic, it is reasonable to expect Apple will want to have a 3rd party GPU provider for their Mac Pros, I do not see Apple's chips having the graphics power of even the 6700XT anytime soon. Perhaps they'll stop supporting any other hardware manufacturer at some point, but I don't think we're there yet. It was almost 6 months for Navi 21 support, it seems 22 may take as long. If there's no support by 2022, I'll no longer think it will happen, but otherwise remaining patient and optimistic.

Aftermarket 6700XT Prices are crashing hard, it might be a good time to grab another one !

Following this thread and crossing fingers for support on MacOS 12.

Hello,

i would like to upgrade my set up with my Mac Pro 2020. I'm about to buy a MSI Radeon RX 6700 XT, but I don't know if it's compatible with my current version version of Big Sur 11.4.
If not, could you advise me ? I'm video producer, I need it a lot. My budget is 800 €, so I can't get the "Module MPX Radeon Pro Vega II Duo HBM1".

Best,

Hach

Back