Contribute
Register

AMD 6600 on macOS: custom Zero RPM with softPowerPlayTable on DeviceProperties

@olvido
I haven't the PC with me and answer more slowly in a couple of days.
Don't worry @miliuco, I managed to make it work. I don't know why, but even showing my GPU as bus 0 in MPT I edited the regkey and it works! GPU is running now at 30ºC and the whole system is cooler. Thank you very much and happy new year!

@olvido
Glad to read you. Enjoy.

Hello
First i need to thank you for this fantastic guide it help me a lot with my RX6800.
Second it is possible to make a custum fan curve in MorePowerTool and export the SoftPowerTables to the macOS. Everything works perfectly. I made my RX6800 fans not spin until it reach 40C then Spin for 25% and then i made my GPU to hit max 75C under heavy load.

Last edited:
@grgkrastev
You are welcome.
Yes, I know that although I never tried it. It’s a good idea, so you have your own GPU behavior.

@flytiger
No, I don't know why you are getting that.
You have changed the Zero RPM setting on Windows, right? Nothing more, I guess.
I have no idea. The only thing I can say is to check twice the sPPT string. But almost sure it's good because you have got the fans working without Zero RPM.

Hello
First i need to thank you for this fantastic guide it help me a lot with my RX6800.
Second it is possible to make a custum fan curve in MorePowerTool and export the SoftPowerTables to the macOS. Everything works perfectly. I made my RX6800 fans not spin until it reach 40C then Spin for 25% and then i made my GPU to hit max 75C under heavy load.
Hey man! Thank you! Thank you! Asked above whether it is possible to edit the curve. But no one answered that. I no longer knew what to do, I updated the case, the fans. I already wanted to put custom water cooling! Two 6900, when rendering, they warmed up to 90-100. Now 60-70 and quiet. Thanks man!

Note (April 2023)

There are users on latest versions of macOS Ventura (currently 13.4) saying that the option to disable the Zero RPM feature when using the SoftPowerPlayTable (SPPT) string seems to have been lost. Even with it loaded from the OpenCore config.plist file, GPU fans are mostly stopped and temperature varies between 50 and 55º (approximately 10º more than in Windows), the same as without SPPT.
It's something I've verified myself.

There is a way to recover the lost function. When modifying the vBIOS file in Windows with MorePowerTool, instead of deactivating Zero RPM (unchecking its option box) it is left enabled (checkbox checked) but the temperatures at which the fans start and stop are modified. By default they are configured like this: Stop Temperature 50º and Start Temperature 60º.

I have tried setting Start Temperature to 40º and Stop temperature to 35º, I have created the new registry key (Save or Write SPPT) and I have exported it to the OpenCore config.plist file. With this modification, in macOS the fans spin and stop with the GPU temperature varying between 35 and 40º, achieving a result similar to what was lost. Performance in GeekBench 6 is as expected, 98.000 – 114.000 with an RX 6600 XT model.

MorePoweTool-3.png

Last edited:
Note (April 2023)

There are users on latest versions of macOS Ventura (currently 13.4) saying that the option to disable the Zero RPM feature when using the SoftPowerPlayTable (SPPT) string seems to have been lost. Even with it loaded from the OpenCore config.plist file, GPU fans are mostly stopped and temperature varies between 50 and 55º (approximately 10º more than in Windows), the same as without SPPT.
It's something I've verified myself.

There is a way to recover the lost function. When modifying the vBIOS file in Windows with MorePowerTool, instead of deactivating Zero RPM (unchecking its option box) it is left enabled (checkbox checked) but the temperatures at which the fans start and stop are modified. By default they are configured like this: Stop Temperature 50º and Start Temperature 60º.

I have tried setting Start Temperature to 40º and Stop temperature to 35º, I have created the new registry key (Save or Write SPPT) and I have exported it to the OpenCore config.plist file. With this modification, in macOS the fans spin and stop with the GPU temperature varying between 35 and 40º, achieving a result similar to what was lost. Performance in GeekBench 6 is as expected, 98.000 – 114.000 with an RX 6600 XT model.

This worked perfectly for me. Temp are down from 55+ to between 40-45 now. I kept the stop temp as 40 and start as 45.

Back