Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> RX 580 display issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
It works. Don't ask me how though, but it works! I really honestly have no idea how, but here is what I did...

I decided to start from complete scratch: unplugged all unnecessary hardware and started up a fresh install. I expected the worst but after failing with a vanilla Clover install, I went the UniBeast route and it flew just fine this time around; no GPU acting out at all.

I thought some unplugged hardware must have been conflicting with the GPU then. Mind you I only had a wifi card, USB3 controller and a few drives plugged in previously and it was strange at best that they would conflict with a GPU, but whatever at least I had a starting point.

I plugging back all my other HW sequentially, to pinpoint which was problematic, but that's when sh*t got real: it never went back to glitching. I basically had a fresh install working fine with all my previous hardware in. Then I got curious and tried my initial installation again.

Well, that worked too! And with my horribly mangled config and disorganized EFI folders no less!! I have NO IDEA WHY it works now and not before, but I've done maybe two dozen reboots with varying configs and disks and every time it worked fine, save for once or twice where I could see some visual aberrations, but they were only on pre-boot.

I wish I could say I understood what happened, because if it does it again I have no understanding on how to fix it really. Plus I feel like it's something super stupid but again, I tried everything I could think of before this...

So thanks for all your help! And it won't be for nothing: I am now going to use all your info to clean up my install. I also realized that since my last build of this machine in 2012, I really didn't do any skills upkeep and there is a lot of stuff I don't quite have my head wrapped around, so I'll be reading as much as I can so that I understand what I'm doing rather than begging for help every time ;)

Thanks again to all for your time!

I have. I started from scratch with the latest kexts I found... DP may change something, but all the ports I tried behaved the same so I doubt it honestly.

I've wondered that as well, but I'm very weary of changing my SMBIOS info since it's a migration...
Hi everyone.

I recently updated my Hackintosh to Mojave; it's older hardware, but always worked flawlessly (or just about). Unfortunately I found out after the update that my GTX660ti was not fully compatible, so I purchased a nice Sapphire RX 580.

However, it has a very odd glitch: every time I reboot, it will work perfectly all the way up to the Mac OS login screen. There it goes bananas and shows varying degrees - usually a lot - of static, coloured noise to be exact. To be clear, the BIOS, Clover, and boot sequence all display as expected. This only starts at the login screen and beyond. The stranger thing is that if I unplug, and re-plug the cable from the back of the card, it self-corrects and works flawlessly in Mac OS. It displays properly and it shows up correctly in hardware profiles. Then I reboot, and we go at it again... I just don't get it!

I've attached my Clover EFI if someone cares to help out; it's a mess, I know, but I have tried to boot from a fresh, vanilla config.plist file yet got the same result.

I've double checked the card and hardware under Windows and I'm satisfied neither the card, cables or monitor are to blame.

Any, and I mean ANY help would be great. I've followed every guide I could find, and I have like 20 tabs open with various tweaks and whatnot and still can't figure it out. I know I can live with it, but it's just soooooo annoying!

GA-Z77x-UP5-TH, i7 3770k, Sapphire RX 580 8 Gb.

Thanks in advance to any brave soul who wants to help me!
Did you figured out??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back