Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse 8GB Graphics Card
Corsair AX760 Power Supply
Time Machine: Western Digital Red 2TB NAS Hard Drive
Deepcool Genome II Computer Case
Samsung 27" 4K Display S27D850T (Using DisplayPort)​
This original install was 10.14.1 (Mojave)​

Comments
Background
I was growing a little tired of all the graphics glitches and random black screens with my EVGA GTX970 4GB SC Gaming ACX 2.0 graphics card. Between Apple rolling out more support for eGPU’s and Sapphire RX 580 card dropping back to a normal price levels (thanks to the bitcoin tanking), I decided to upgrade my system to 10.14.1 (Mojave) and install a Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse 8GB card.​
I searched through endless threads to get this build working properly, so I wanted to put it all together in one place for anyone thinking of doing the same. The original guide I used was thanks to @wildwillow. I also used a thread created by @beelzebozo mucho gracias to both of you!!​
Wildwillow:​
beelzebozo:​
I have had my build up and running for a few days and everything is working as it should… Sleep is actually working, unlike my High Sierra build with the GTX 970 card. I have also tested video playback of a H.265 (mkv) video,and it uses very little CPU power. I have not gotten into FCPX yet, but I plan on testing that in the next couple of months.​
Since there is so much information out there already, I'll keep it short and simple​
Installation
Step 1: BIOS (Z170 Deluxe)
Update to BIOS version 3801​
Update BIOS Settings:​
- Ai Tweaker > DRAM Frequency > Set to 2666MHz​
- Ai Tweaker > CPU SVID Support > Disabled​
- Ai Tweaker > Internal CPU Power Management > Intel(R) SpeedStep(tm) > Auto​
- Advanced > System Agent (SA) Configuration > VT-d > Disabled​
- Advanced > USB Configuration > Enable Legacy USB Support​
- Advanced > USB Configuration > USB Keyboard & Mouse Simulator > Disabled​
- Advanced > Advanced\System Agent (SA) Configuration > Graphics Configuration > IGPU Multi-Monitor > Enabled​
**Having this dasabled causes Preview app to freeze when opening .jpg files
- Advanced > Advanced\System Agent (SA) Configuration > Graphics Configuration > Primary Display > PEG​
- Advanced > Advanced\System Agent (SA) Configuration > PEG Port COnfiguration > PCIEX16_1 Link Speed > Gen 3​
**Couldn't get BIOS to post if I left this in Auto
- Advanced > APM configuration > ErP ready I selected S4+S5​
**This was Disabled but randomly would restart instead of shutdown
- Advanced > APM configuration > Power On By PCI-E/PCI > Disabled (wake on LAN)​
- Advanced > CPU Configuration > Intel Virtualization Technology > Enabled​
- Advanced > Network Stack Configuration > Network Stack > Disabled​
**This was removed from the latest BIOS: Advanced > USB Configuration > XHCI Hand-off > Enabled
- Boot > Fast Boot > Disabled​
- Boot > Secure Boot > OS Type > Other OS​
- Boot > CSM (Compatibility Support Module) Launch CSM > Disabled (causes clover boot screen not to go 4k)​
- Secure Boot > Delete all keys under Key Management (4 in total)​

Step 2: Create USB with UniBeast and configure USB (kexts and config.plist)
Download macOS Mojave (I used a circa 2015 MacBook Pro)​
Create an install USB using UniBeast (macOS Mojave) with these settings​
- UEFI Boot Mode​
Drag post install files on the USB including:​
- Kexts, Clover Configurator, KextBeast, SSDT files, EFI Mounter V3, cVAD Kext Utility​
Use Clover Configurator, mount the EFI from the USB drive and open config.plist | set ONLY the following:​
- BOOT > Darkwave, Dart=0, nv_disable=1, Debug, XMPDetection=No​
- GUI > Mouse Enable, Scan Entries, Scan Tool​
- Graphics > Inject ATI​
- Devices > Inject 1 (for audio)​
- SMBIOS > select iMac, select iMac 14,2​
- Kernel and Kext patches >​
name: AppleAHCIPort | Find: 45787465 726e616c | Replace: 496e7465 726e616c | Comment: External icons patch
name: com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI | Find 837d940f 0f839704 0000 | Replace 837d940f 90909090 9090 | Comment: Remove USB port limit in XHCI kext | matchOS: 10.13.x
- Kernel and Kext patches > Apple RTC, KernelPm​
- RT variables > BooterConfig 0x28, CsrActiveConfig 0x3​
- System parameters > Inject Kexts Detect, Inject System ID​

Open EFI partition on the USB and use ONLY these kexts/aml files:​
- EFI > Clover > Kexts > Other > AtherosE2200Ethernet​
- EFI > Clover > Kexts > Other > FakeSMC​
- EFI > Clover > Kexts > Other > IntelmausiEthernet (this is for Intel 1219V LAN controller)​
- EFI > Clover > Kexts > Other > RealtekRTL8111​
- Nothing in Clover > ACPI > Patched​

Step 3: Install macOS
Boot from USB (use a USB 2.0 port)​
Delete install location using disk utility and format APFS​
Step through installer​
Reboot multiple times selecting "Boot macOS install from HD name" from the clover menu​
Skip iCloud login for now​

Step 4: Install Clover and Configure
Don't restart until you've reached the end of step 6​
Use EFI Mounter to mount the EFI partition of the install HD and delete folder EFI/Apple and EFI/Clover​
Install the latest version of clover from tonymacx86 (I used UEFI Boot Mode V2.4k r4586)​

Step 5: 5Ghz and Bluetooth (BCM94360HMB Chipset)
Place files on desktop and use KextBeast to install the following to L/E​
- BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext (2018-0505)​
- BrcmPatchRAM2.kext(2018-0505)​
- AirportBrcmFixup.kext (1.1.6) - for 5Ghz Wifi​
Step 6: Cleanup after Install (kexts, aml, config.plist)
Use EFI Mounter V3, mount the EFI from the main hard drive and open config.plist​
Set the following and uncheck everything else:​
- ACPI > Comment:Change HDAS to HDEF | FIND: 48444153 | REPLACE: 48444546 (for audio)​
- Boot >XMPDetection=No, Darkwave=8​
- Devices > Inject 1​
**I tried Inject 7 as well, but had a lot of crackling (i'm using an analog set of Logitech 5.1 speakers)
- Gui > hide volume >preboot, Mouse Enabled, Scan Entries, Scan Tool, Scan Legacy, Custom​
- Kernel and Kext patches >​
name: AppleAHCIPort | Find: 45787465 726e616c | Replace: 496e7465 726e616c | Comment: External icons patch
- SMBIOS > select iMac 17,1 (shake everything)​
- System Parameters>Inject Kexts>Yes​
- System parameters > Inject System ID, Inject Kexts Detect​
Follow Beezlebozo instructions for iMessage​

Open up the EFI partition and place the following aml files: (delete anything else)​
- SSDT-i7-6700K.aml to /EFI/EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched​
- SSDT-UIAC.aml to /EFI/EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched​
Open up the EFI partition and place the following kexts: (delete anything else)​
- FakeSMC (2.26)​
Place files on desktop and use KextBeast to install the following to L/E​
- lilu (1.2.8)​
- WhateverGreen (1.2.4)​
- AppleALC (1.3.3)​
- FakeSMC (6.26)​
- IntelmausiEthernet (v2-2018 1031)​
- USBInjectAll (2018-1108)​
Use cVad’s Kext Utility to create new cache​
Open System Preferences > Energy Saver (disable Power Nap)​

Restart - Finally!!
**After restart and signing into iCloud, continuity should be working, sleep is also working​
Step 7: Remove Verbose from boot (if necessary)
Use the link and start reading at "Find your apfs.efi"​
Step 8: Setup 5.1 channel analog audio (using Logitech 5.1 speaker set)​
**only 3.1 is working
  • Open the Audio MIDI Setup all and follow the instructions on the attached image
Audio Setup.png

Summary
What Works​
  • USB 2.0 and 3.0 | haven't tried 3.1)
  • Acceleration of the Sapphire RX 580 (H.265 video playback with low CPU usage)
  • Sleep and Shutdown Functions
  • iMessage, Continuity, Handoff, Bluetooth, 2.4 and 5GHz Wifi
What Doesn't Work​
  • Asmedia USB 3.1 ports (5 on back panel / teal color)
    **GenericUSBXHCI will get them working but I don't like using this in combo with the custom SSDT
    https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Generic-USB3
  • Rear left and right analog audio
Updates
  • Original Build Date 3/31/17 (GTX970 | Sierra)
  • RX580 and Mojave Upgrade Date 11/28/18
  • Uploaded config.pist, SSDT's for USB and i7-6700k
  • Remove Scan Legacy from config.plist to remove the "Boot EFI from Windows" option in clover
  • Updated PCIEX16_1 Link Speed BIOS Setting from Auto to Gen 3, uploaded new config.plist
  • Updated BIOS setting for IGPU Multi-Monitor to Enable (causing preview to freeze)
  • Rebuilt and Uploaded new SSDT.UIAC.aml file for USB ports (uses all Internal USB3 Headers)
  • Upgraded to Catalina... see posts 46, 47, and 55

Attachments

• SSDT-i7-6700K.aml
    2.3 KB · Views: 599
  • config-20180112.plist
    6.1 KB · Views: 681
  • SSDT-UIAC.aml
    659 bytes · Views: 544
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing & congratulations on getting your system up and running :)

Have the same system which was originally based on Wildwillow & beelzebozo guides. Wishing to update to Mojave, but waiting on Nvidia... Or a reasonably priced AMD alternative.

You mentioned in another thread the upgrade was painful, in what way ?
Deep Sleep works ? No "boot loop" on shut down ?
why have you chosen lilu & WhateverGreen ? Where they required for anything in particular ?

There is also a kext free method regarding the USB port limit (Which I'm considering trying) - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...custom-ssdt-for-xhci-usb-port-control.253981/

Thanks for sharing & congratulations on getting your system up and running :)

Have the same system which was originally based on @wildwillow & @beelzebozo guides. Wishing to update to Mojave, but waiting on Nvidia... Or a reasonably priced AMD alternative.

You mentioned in another thread the upgrade was painful, in what way ?
Deep Sleep works ? No "boot loop" on shut down ?
why have you chosen lilu & WhateverGreen ? Where they required for anything in particular ?

There is also a kext free method regarding the USB port limit (Which I'm considering trying) - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...custom-ssdt-for-xhci-usb-port-control.253981/

The painful part was that my BIOS ended up needing reset when I flipped graphics cards. It was also a little painful playing around with what kexts I needed vs boot arguments. For example, the system would black screen without nv_disable=1 when booting originally from the USB. I also got into multiple boot loops when using specific kexts. That’s why I wanted to post my final config. It took a little while to get it all figured out. I have been using that custom SSDT-USB.aml method since my original build. It’s has been working great. I used the @wildwillow guide to set it up, it wasn’t too hard. I did have a problem using a USB 3.0 that wasn’t supported by Apple when doing the port discovery. I ended up using an Apple Sandisk USB 3.0

I'm having some trouble in paradise... I was noticing some lagginess (and audio cutting out) when I was using iTunes. I did a couple Geekbench tests and I don't think my system is where it should be... any ideas? I've already tried to set the Graphics>ig-platform-id to 0x19120000 and the buffer to Orinoco thinking it might be a frame rate buffer issue. That didn't fix anything. Like I mentioned in the post above, when doing the Geekbench graphics test or playing H.265 video the CPU is only around 15%

Geekbench | Single Core: 5,501 Multi Core: 18,267
OpenCL: 13,786

**ran openCL after a shutdown and restart and got 115,464 (same numbers on the CPU)

I'll keep hacking through the forums and keep this post updated with any solutions I find

Last edited:
Hi ABaller, thanks for making this guide. I’ve got an identical system (apart from the hard drives), got the GPU working and getting OpenCL scores on geek bench of approx 140,000.

However, the sleep doesn’t seem to work for me. After waking from sleep it automatically restarts about 10 seconds after the screen comes on. Have you got an idea of what may be the cause of this?

Another issue I’m having is that the machine restarts when I’m shutting down. I tried the BIOS setting you specified for APM configuration > ErP ready, but that didn’t solve it unfortunately. Are you aware of any other BIOS settings or Kexts/patches that may be related to this?

Many thanks

Hey urpwsvr, I'm getting spotty OpenCL scores, sometimes high and sometimes low... It would be interesting to know where your config differs from mine? Maybe attach your config.plist and i'll compare them.

My system also restarted (I think because of a Kernel panic) every time I shut it down. This is what caused me to do a fresh install, I even wiped the EFI partition. I would check your system log and see if you are getting a Kernel panic when you shut down? Mine wakes from sleep perfectly

View System Log | https://www.howtogeek.com/356942/how-to-view-the-system-log-on-a-mac/

Hi @ABaller, thanks for giving me the tip to look at the logs. I noticed in crash log on shutdown and wake from sleep, that my USB headset was mentioned. So I connected that to a different USB port, and now everything works fine :)

@urpwsvr thats great news! Would you mind looking into the differences between our 2 configs so I can try and figure out why I’m getting spotty graphics scores? I’m thinking it could be BIOS setting differences, config.plist differences, difference in which kexts are being used and where they are installed to (clover folder vs library/extensions)... If you upload your config.plist I can start comparing the 2 files. I want to get this guide updated so it can help everyone

Hi @ABaller, you can upload your SSDT and EFI, I have a construction identical to yours, however I have a small lag at the beginning for a few seconds, and maybe I'm missing something, thank you very much!

Hi @ABaller, I've attached my config.plist. Please bear in mind that I've left my built in graphics enabled, so I can have both intel gpu and the rx580 work side by side. I've left it that way just in case one of them fails when updating macOS for example.

Attachments

• config-20181216.plist
    6.3 KB · Views: 389
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back