Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI mpg z390 gaming
CPU
i7 9700k
Graphics
5700XT
I recently noticed that I have a strange GPU memory leak.

What I found so far was that if I turn off the hardware acceleration in the Chrome browser then it doesn't leak. Also turning my display off and back on resets the GPU memory.

I can't understand why it would leak when Chromes hardware acceleration is on. Could this be an issue with my Clover setup or is it something else?

Everything is fine in Activity Monitor and Chrome task manager and it doesn't show any leaks or high usage. So I'm assuming its something with Clover and the hardware acceleration?

Code:
My setup
CPU: I7 9700k
GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 5700 XT 8G
RAM: 16GB 3200mhz
MOBO: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC
SMBIOS: iMacPro1,1

Screenshot 2020-06-21 at 21.44.39.png

You can see how memory just keeps increasing over time. Turning my display on and off resets it.

Screenshot 2020-06-21 at 21.28.57.png

@totalexile,

This is old news ..... it's a well known issue with the Apple's Navi drivers that does not just effect Chrome but many different apps that use dGPU VRAM such as FCPX, some games ... etc. It's not a memory leak in the traditional sense but an issue with the driver not purging the VRAM after processing GPU data.

The problem has been widely reported on the official Apple support forums as occurring on real Mac's that have built-in Navi GPU's as well as Mac's using Navi eGPU's so it is not just a Hackintosh problem.

The issue has been reported and discussed here at TMx86 in several different threads.
Hopefully Apple will fix their buggy Navi drivers in the next few MacOS updates ...

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@jaymonkey

Thanks for taking the time to explain it It's good to know that its not an issue with my Clover setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back