1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hi guys,
"simple" question.
I'm stucked on high sierra due to my gpu (nvidia gtx 970), but latest adobe cc needs at least mojave to run, so is time to upgrade my skylake sysyop.
i've pinpointed those 2 gpu (i have a matx case so i can't fit a full size 3 fan gpu)
price of rx 570 is insane (new is like 300+ euro) and also finding it used could be a bad choice because 90% of those have been used for mining. But it still has support for elcap-mojave.
On the other hand 5500 is cheaper (240 or so), it needs less wattage, it should have same performance of the rx 570(?), but it needs at least catalina to work.
do you have any advice?i use adobe only.
i don't know which one i should get, also because sometimes i still need to use dvd studio pro (atm i have a separate partition with sierra).
with the 570 i could still use the separate partition, but what about the 5500? could i use it somehow under sierra or i should install a vm to have it running?

p.s. talking about performance will it be a real upgrade? i mean swapping from my nvidia gpu to amd...

Thanx

hi guys,
"simple" question.
I'm stucked on high sierra due to my gpu (nvidia gtx 970), but latest adobe cc needs at least mojave to run, so is time to upgrade my skylake sysyop.
i've pinpointed those 2 gpu (i have a matx case so i can't fit a full size 3 fan gpu)
price of rx 570 is insane (new is like 300+ euro) and also finding it used could be a bad choice because 90% of those have been used for mining. But it still has support for elcap-mojave.
On the other hand 5500 is cheaper (240 or so), it needs less wattage, it should have same performance of the rx 570(?), but it needs at least catalina to work.
do you have any advice?i use adobe only.
i don't know which one i should get, also because sometimes i still need to use dvd studio pro (atm i have a separate partition with sierra).
with the 570 i could still use the separate partition, but what about the 5500? could i use it somehow under sierra or i should install a vm to have it running?

p.s. talking about performance will it be a real upgrade? i mean swapping from my nvidia gpu to amd...

Thanx
The RX 570 is supported on MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 and later, while the RX 5500 XT is only supported on MacOS Catalina 10.15.2 and later.

So if you still need to boot Sierra (Have you updated that to 10.12.6?) then you cannot use the RX 5500 XT.

MacOS running in a virtual machine (e.g. VMware Fusion) does not have graphics acceleration (Well, except a Big Sur guest running under a Big Sur host under the latest virtualization software, but that is not really working well at this point.) so you cannot run software that requires graphics acceleration in a MacOS virtual machine.

It seems prices of new graphics cards are rising everywhere, so it is not really a good time to invest in one, but if you need it NOW I suppose you have to swallow the price increase.

talking about performance, will the 570 perform better than gtx 970 (using just adobe suite)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back