Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> RX 560 very high fan speed after wake from sleep on 10.14.4 (solved by 10.14.5 beta 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@justinhe: will maybe investigate to plug the GPU fan your way 'cause I'm plagued with another problem. GPU fan won't go higher than 40%, whatever the GPU temp is reaching. Running Luxmark, the GPU reaches 96 degrees and then, black-out of the displays and GPU fan at max (protective mode I guess). I have to shutdown completely to reset the GPU...

Tried with or without correct AGPM kexts but no dice. The MSI RX580 8g v1 is behaving normally under Win10, meaning the fan speed up to maintain the card under 90 degrees (Furmark bench).

@maXterm: I would like to be able, like you mentioned, to alter the fan settings (plist, kext, whatever) but didn't found anything so far for MacOS.

if you observe closely, the fan starts spinning with high speed and making noise when the GPU temperature reaches 50C.
Like already mentioned in my precedent post, mine is stuck at 40% fan at max. It's like MacOS doesn't read the auto VBIOS settings...!

@justinhe: will maybe investigate to plug the GPU fan your way 'cause I'm plagued with another problem. GPU fan won't go higher than 40%, whatever the GPU temp is reaching. Running Luxmark, the GPU reaches 96 degrees and then, black-out of the displays and GPU fan at max (protective mode I guess). I have to shutdown completely to reset the GPU...

Tried with or without correct AGPM kexts but no dice. The MSI RX580 8g v1 is behaving normally under Win10, meaning the fan speed up to maintain the card under 90 degrees (Furmark bench).

@maXterm: I would like to be able, like you mentioned, to alter the fan settings (plist, kext, whatever) but didn't found anything so far for MacOS.

My Sapphire RX 470 running Luxmark, temp at 68c most, fan (connected to motherboard) less than 700rpm. room temperature 15c.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 12.05.39.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 12.05.39.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 227
@justinhe: If I understand correctly, this way it's the motherboard sensors that does the job to control the fan? Mine (MSI Radeon RX580 8g v1) has a small fan and I fear that I would have to crank the fan at 60% at least (30 percent is around 1860 RPM and the GPU stays in the 40 degrees range).

In the meantime, I'll put back the RX560 as I don't have to worry about overheating. 19 percent to 25 percent (after sleep) is not really bothering audibly. Deceptive to learn that first betas of 10.14.5 don't solve this annoying bug.

@brousseau6933 imagine the two scenarios:

GPU controlled fan: temp less than 50c — fan speed 0RPM — 51C — 2500RPM for 10seconds — 49C — 0RPM ....

M/B controlled: fan always spinning at 800-1000RPM ( no stop, no 0RPM) it is hard for RX 580 to get high temp. You can do some test, you can also set the monitor temp source to CPU, so if you play games under windows, cpu temp will go higher, thus GPU fan will follow up to get higher speed to cool down gpu. For me, i did 30mins heaven benchmark, fan spinning at average 1100RPM, rx 470 temp was controlled under 85c. In daily use, gpu is usually around 40c.

Well, for now RX560: 24%, 1390 RPM and temp at 37 degrees. LuxMark bench: 42% (weird that RX580 won't go higher than 40 percent!), 2050 RPM and 52 degrees. Obviously, result (5781) is far from what I get with RX580 but I won't burn the GPU in flames...

As I don't play any games on the Windows side or do any intensive graphic stuff, I'll live with the slightly higher RPM of the 560 after sleep for now...

Sure I know that I now have another alternative for the RX580 plugging it in the sys_fan header, so thanks!

Oh and BTW, my MSI RX580 doesn't have the 0 RPM feature under 50 degrees, minimum is 1860 RPM.

Patrice

Last edited:
I had Sapphire RX 560 before, it is quite annoying, as i said, after wake from sleep, a simple web pages scrolling could lead to 2500 RPM for a few seconds and then down to 1100RPM, and on and on. Very frustrating.

Fortunately, the MSI RX560 Aero doesn't behave like this...

I can't get my MSI RX 560 LP to do anything lower than 2800rpm.

It boots into Mojave there and stays there unless really taxed and then it will ramp higher.

Super frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back