Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> RX 560 very high fan speed after wake from sleep on 10.14.4 (solved by 10.14.5 beta 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most Gigabyte motherboards suffered from this problem before a certain BIOS. One check you can easily make is to flash with the latest. For the older motherboards this might or might not be a solution. For me this occurred around BIOS F4 to F5.
OK, I did that. I flashed the BIOS and now it doesnt boot.

Attachments

• 66A7AC5D-72C5-4008-A996-C6EBF47E1FBC.jpeg
    66A7AC5D-72C5-4008-A996-C6EBF47E1FBC.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 100
Continue to post #10

attach the result:

FAN 1 is my cpu fan,
FAN 3 is connected to Chassis Fan 1, which is a front case fan to send air to the case.
FAN 4 is connected to Chassis FAN 2, which is the fan of RX 470 GPU i modded as above post.
By the way, the M.2 SSD is right under my GPU, this also cools down the SSD :)

I customized all 3 fans, as you can see they are all very silent, under this rpm, CPU temp is about 30˚, GPU is about 37˚.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 04.03.51.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 04.03.51.png
    515.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
I don’t know. I’ve just flashed the bios with latest update, nothing more. Very strange.

flash to the lasted BIOS will NOT solve your fan issue, i'm 100% sure of that. Use the 'cable method' instead.

Don't try to solve this "not able to boot" issue, go back to the working BIOS :)

I don’t know. I’ve just flashed the bios with latest update, nothing more. Very strange.

OK, use your UniBeast installer flash-drive to boot your system and then check your main drive. You can use DiskUtil to check for errors. Make sure you can see FakeSMC.kext in the location you installed it :thumbup:

A UEFI BIOS upgrade should not touch your OS drive if you used a USB Flash drive to do the job.

:)

flash to the lasted BIOS will NOT solve your fan issue, i'm 100% sure of that. Use the 'cable method' instead.

Don't try to solve this "not able to boot" issue, go back to the working BIOS :)

Okay, this is a viewpoint. Thank you.

Please bear in mind that the problem you have experienced does not affect ALL users. Not all RX560 GPUs (the title of your thread) behave this way.

There was a known problem - just like yours - with earlier motherboard BIOS files which had bugs affecting GPU fan speeds. Gigabyte addressed these with an upgrade. It is true that the latest motherboards should already have a newer BIOS.

If you check Gigabyte Support BIOS files for Aorus Z370 Gaming 5, you can see F5 addressed GPU compatibility. For your ASRock B360-HDV I understand this may not have been a problem, although see the details for BIOS v1.20:thumbup:.

As for macOS being responsible, if solving the problem involves using a special cable, then that sounds more like an "electrical" issue. You say AGPMInjector does not seem to have helped much.

PWM is a good way to control CPU fans, using a 4-pin connector, however RX-series GPUs have a specific temperature-curve fan-speed response built-in to their VBIOSs. The FrameBuffer critical error you experienced might suggest checking for the latest Lilu/Whatevergreen kexts, if you use them (?) or maybe even an earlier one. The RX560 has high fan-speed during boot, which then drops quickly once the OS is running.

As for the problem not occurring in Windows, again this points to configuration and not cabling.

EDIT: Amended for clarity. PWM section added.

Last edited:
Okay, this is a viewpoint. Thank you.

Please bear in mind that the problem you have experienced does not affect ALL users. Not all RX560 GPUs (the title of your thread) behave this way.

A known problem - just like yours - is that earlier motherboard BIOS files had bugs affecting GPU fan speeds, which Gigabyte addressed with an upgrade. It is true that the latest motherboards should already have a newer BIOS.

I specifically mention F4 and F5 because I have experience of this, and if you check Gigabyte Support BIOS files you can see F5 addressed GPU compatibility.

As for macOS being responsible, you say AGPMInjector does not seem to have helped much.

Is there one particular brand of RX560 that requires a special cable to fool the motherboard?

You mention that the problem persisted, although not quite so badly, with your RX470.

Why would this not happen under Windows?

Clearly cabling would be an 'electrical' issue and not a software one.

Glad to hear that a bios upgrade solved your fan issue.

In my case, i don’t have fan issue from 10.13.6 to 10.14.4 as long as i don’t put my computer to sleep.

I don’t have fan issue from 10.13.6 to 10.14.3 no matter sleep or not.

I do have fan issue on 10.14.4 since beta 1 on wake from sleep only. a simple scrolling of web pages can cause temp goes above 50 and then comes high fan speed. Rx 470 in my case is not so bad because it has much better cooling, which can bring down the temp to less than 50c quickly.

Some older chipset won’t receive bios update any more, e.g Gigabyte Z77P-D3 i used before along with RX 560, the bios stops at version F8 beta (released year 2012). Now i use Asrock B360M-HDV, latest bios, same gpu fan issue.

It is true that windows does not have such a problem wake from sleep or not. Of cause if benchmark with Fur Mark for instance, fan would go crazy which is normal to me.

The cable method is currently the only way i can think of to get rid of this issue.

rx570 10.14.4 same problem

OK, use your UniBeast installer flash-drive to boot your system and then check your main drive.
Even with the Unibeast flash drive I couldn't boot up. Meanwhile, I've downgraded the bios where it was before (F7). Now at least I can boot.

:thumbup:, I think this is the solution as long as this "behavior" isn't a general one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back