Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE H370 HD3
CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
Asus Ceberus GTX1050 Ti Advanced
I have a Hackintosh running Clover and Yosemite fine without any issues (the site helped a lot - cheers).
I also now want to be able to run Windows on it also, but I'm not sure the easiest way (or how) to do it.

I have a legit Windows 10 on a USB and a separate internal SSD drive and I assume the easiest method is to install Windows on this SSD and boot into it when needed - or is virtualisation easier?

Does anybody have the step by step instructions of how to do either? This was my first Hackintosh so it needs to be idiot-proof.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have a Hackintosh running Clover and Yosemite fine without any issues (the site helped a lot - cheers).
I also now want to be able to run Windows on it also, but I'm not sure the easiest way (or how) to do it.

I have a legit Windows 10 on a USB and a separate internal SSD drive and I assume the easiest method is to install Windows on this SSD and boot into it when needed - or is virtualisation easier?

Does anybody have the step by step instructions of how to do either? This was my first Hackintosh so it needs to be idiot-proof.

Many thanks in advance.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi-on-separate-drives.198869/. Will get you there.
Suggest you put the Win10 drive on the lowest numbered SATA port and have only the Win10 drive connected during installation.

Thanks for this, I'm a bit stuck:

From the guide (in underline italic are my comments)

Connect a drive, insert OS X Install USB, boot the system and at the POST hit the Function hotkey that allows you to select a boot device. Select the OS X Install USB. At the installation screen, select Utilities->Disk Utility and format the drive single partition GUID/Mac OS Extended (Journaled). When done, exit Disk Utility. Quit the OS X installer.
(All done OK)

Remove the OS X Install USB and insert the Win10 USB, boot the system and at the POST hit the Function hotkey that allows you to select a boot device.
Windows shows up as USB: Win10Installer (or whatever you named the USB) and as UEFI USB: Win10Installer.
Now here is where I'm stuck - I don't see any of that, I do see the Windows USB install disk and when i select that it goes into installing Windows.

Select the UEFI USB: Win10Installer and boot the system.
I don't see that at all

At the installation screen, select Custom Install.
There's no custom install option, so this is where I stop.

At the next screen select the OS X partition and delete it - do not delete the EFI partition. With the resulting free space hi-lited, install Windows to the space. The installer will create and format the partitions for you. When finished, update and install your 3rd party apps and security suite. Reboot to BIOS/UEFI and disable CSM. Save&exit, continue boot to desktop. Shut down, disconnect the drive.

Any help you can give is much appreciated.

Thanks for this, I'm a bit stuck:

From the guide (in underline italic are my comments)

Connect a drive, insert OS X Install USB, boot the system and at the POST hit the Function hotkey that allows you to select a boot device. Select the OS X Install USB. At the installation screen, select Utilities->Disk Utility and format the drive single partition GUID/Mac OS Extended (Journaled). When done, exit Disk Utility. Quit the OS X installer.
(All done OK)

Remove the OS X Install USB and insert the Win10 USB, boot the system and at the POST hit the Function hotkey that allows you to select a boot device.
Windows shows up as USB: Win10Installer (or whatever you named the USB) and as UEFI USB: Win10Installer.
Now here is where I'm stuck - I don't see any of that, I do see the Windows USB install disk and when i select that it goes into installing Windows.

Select the UEFI USB: Win10Installer and boot the system.
I don't see that at all

At the installation screen, select Custom Install.
There's no custom install option, so this is where I stop.

At the next screen select the OS X partition and delete it - do not delete the EFI partition. With the resulting free space hi-lited, install Windows to the space. The installer will create and format the partitions for you. When finished, update and install your 3rd party apps and security suite. Reboot to BIOS/UEFI and disable CSM. Save&exit, continue boot to desktop. Shut down, disconnect the drive.

Any help you can give is much appreciated.
You do not have a properly created legacy/UEFI combination USB installer for Windows. Start from scratch and create a new Windows USB installer. I purchased a new 16GB USB2.0 flash drive specifically for the Win10 installer because the used flash drives I had were giving me problems. Suggest you do the same. Do not format the drive. Use it as-is MBR/FAT32 out of the package and allow the Win10 media creator tool to format the drive as it wants.

Thanks for your reply, I thought I had this sorted but your reply has me confused.

"You do not have a properly created legacy/UEFI combination USB installer for Windows. Start from scratch and create a new Windows USB installer. Do not format the drive. Use it as-is MBR/FAT32 out of the package and allow the Win10 media creator tool to format the drive as it wants."

So if I understand this I need to create a new Windows USB installer that uses UEFI rather than BIOS (apologies if I've not got the terminology right).

Would I need a Windows PC to do that? If so that's not possible as I don't have one.

I've seen online the ability to create a Windows USB installer using the Apple bootcamp assistant - is that the way to go?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, I thought I had this sorted but your reply has me confused.

"You do not have a properly created legacy/UEFI combination USB installer for Windows. Start from scratch and create a new Windows USB installer. Do not format the drive. Use it as-is MBR/FAT32 out of the package and allow the Win10 media creator tool to format the drive as it wants."

So if I understand this I need to create a new Windows USB installer that uses UEFI rather than BIOS (apologies if I've not got the terminology right).

Would I need a Windows PC to do that? If so that's not possible as I don't have one.

I've seen online the ability to create a Windows USB installer using the Apple bootcamp assistant - is that the way to go?
Yes, you can use bootcamp assistant to create a Windows install USB from the Windows ISO.

OK that's all done and working great.
Many thanks for your time and patience on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back