Contribute
Register

Running storage drives in RAID0 - Visible for OSX and WIN10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG STRIX H370 ATX
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

My current setup:
I have windows 10 on a 180GB SSD
OSX High Sierra on 500GB SSD

2x 3TB HDDs in RAID0 for storage.

Is there a way I can make my Raid0 drives visible in both windows and OSX?
So that I can use the same drive for storage on both operating systems.

It seems that if I want to make it a RAID0 setup from my BIOS, I have to choose either all drives as RAID, or none.
It is currently set as RAID0 through windows software, but they are not working in MACOS.
1565897790003.png

Edit: Just to clarify: I don't want to install any operating system on this RAID setup, just use as storage

@elyo,

There are 3rd party solutions for Windows that allow for read and write of HFS+ and APFS Volumes.

MacDrive has been around the longest and has support for MacOS Software RAID Volumes :-

Paragon Software also has products that allow Windows to Read/Write HFS+ and APFS Volumes :-

I'm not sure about RAID support with the Paragon products ....

I used MacDrive about six years ago on a non RAID volume, the software was a bit clunky but seemed to work ok.
I expect the current version has evolved a lot since then, I have no experience with Paragons Software.

These days I use a NTFS formatted drive as a shared data drive between MacOS and Windows.
I use Tuxera on MacOS to enable full Read/Write to NTFS Volumes:-

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@elyo,

There are 3rd party solutions for Windows that allow for read and write of HFS+ and APFS on windows.

MacDrive has been around the longest and support's MacOS Software RAID Volumes :-

Paragon Software also has products that allow Windows to Raed/Write HFS+ and APFS :-

Cheers
Jay

I have found that hardware RAID is more productive. I use an Asmedia PCI SATA controller that includes RAID. From there I create a RAID, format in NTFS and use paragon to allow OSX to read / write.

It's very stable ... never had an issue.

@elyo,

There are 3rd party solutions for Windows that allow for read and write of HFS+ and APFS Volumes.

MacDrive has been around the longest and has support for MacOS Software RAID Volumes :-

Paragon Software also has products that allow Windows to Read/Write HFS+ and APFS Volumes :-

I used MacDrive about six years ago on a non RAID volume, the software was a bit clunky but seemed to work ok.
I expect the current version has evolved a lot since then, I have no experience with Paragons Software.

These days I use a NTFS formatted drive as a shared data drive between MacOS and Windows.
I use Tuxera on MacOS to enable full Read/Write to NTFS Volumes:-

Cheers
Jay
Do you know if Tuxera has raid support?

I have found that hardware RAID is more productive. I use an Asmedia PCI SATA controller that includes RAID. From there I create a RAID, format in NTFS and use paragon to allow OSX to read / write.

It's very stable ... never had an issue.
my BIOS doesn't seem to allow me to create a raid only for 2 drives. I would have to include them all. it sets all the sata ports to raid at once.

Do you know if Tuxera has raid support?

@elyo,

As long a MacOS has working drivers to access a Hardware RAID, Tuxera will be able to mount it if it's NTFS formatted.

MacOS does not support Motherboard Hardware RAID volumes. at least non that I know of.
You must use a supported PCIe RAID controller.

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back