Contribute
Register

Running out of patience (10.8 + Z68X-UD3H-B3 F10 / i7 2600K).

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is called autocorrect that I simply over-looked but I'm glad you found it amusing.

C'mon, man: don't take offense. That was funny. Happened with me more than once. :D

That said, the info was incorrect regardless of the corrector: all Ivy Bridges have 3xxx as model identifier (like i5 3570, i7 3770K). That wrong info could lead LosCristianos to think he was using an Ivy Bridge CPU with a Sandy Bridge motherboard and think this as a possible cause for his woes.

Kris404, i think DSDT injection is mostly still needed, since Chameleon/Chimera boot from any UEFI board in BIOS mode - not true UEFI boot, unless you switch to Clover UEFI. Even using true UEFI boot, though, as long as you're using regular PC hardware made for BIOS motherboards, DSDT injection will remain necessary for some setups to work properly.

curious but what Mac type are you using? You really should be using iMac12,2 but you might also want to try MacPro3,1 just for testing to see if it's any better. Also is your onboard HD3000 enabled? if so disable it for testing too.

I haven't had any problems with my Z68X-UD3H-B3 since day 1 and I've had a 5850 in it, then a 570, and now a 670. I did get artifacts and even crashing when trying to enable my HD3000 tho.

Kris404, i think DSDT injection is mostly still needed, since Chameleon/Chimera boot from any UEFI board in BIOS mode - not true UEFI boot, unless you switch to Clover UEFI. Even using true UEFI boot, though, as long as you're using regular PC hardware made for BIOS motherboards, DSDT injection will remain necessary for some setups to work properly.

Incorrect.

For this board, no DSDT is needed to boot or use (except for HDMI Audio) using Chimera 1.11.1+

In fact, I generate a new DSDT every time I do an UEFI upgrade and then edit it for HDMI Audio.

curious but what Mac type are you using? You really should be using iMac12,2 but you might also want to try MacPro3,1 just for testing to see if it's any better. Also is your onboard HD3000 enabled? if so disable it for testing too.

I haven't had any problems with my Z68X-UD3H-B3 since day 1 and I've had a 5850 in it, then a 570, and now a 670. I did get artifacts and even crashing when trying to enable my HD3000 tho.

For UEFI, you should use either iMac12,2 or Macmini5,1. MacPro3,1 crashes on boot (but works fine when using F10/F12).

Incorrect.
In fact, I generate a new DSDT every time I do an UEFI upgrade and then edit it for HDMI Audio.

Exactly! DSDT injection will remain necessary for some setups to work, even with UEFI boards. That's what i said verbatim (what's not correct in this statement?), and that's why i don't think is good policy to say UEFI motherboards don't need DSDT injection: better say they can boot without a patched DSDT (but then i can say any board will boot in this condition, as long as you install a handful kexts).

Least but not last, can you run a dual-card setup without a DSDT injection? Not arguing, just asking.

:)

Exactly! DSDT injection will remain necessary for some setups to work, even with UEFI boards. That's what i said verbatim (what's not correct in this statement?), and that's why i don't think is good policy to say UEFI motherboards don't need DSDT injection: better say they can boot without a patched DSDT (but then i can say any board will boot in this condition, as long as you install a handful kexts).

Least but not last, can you run a dual-card setup without a DSDT injection? Not arguing, just asking.

:)

As I said, it is not mandatory if you do not need HDMI-based Audio (i.e.. send audio & video to receiver using one HDMI cable).

The system will happily work without it and sleep works out of the box too without DSDT (at least on this board)

I haven't tried dual external cards but I did have HD3000 & GT640 running simultaneously (you do need to have GE=No and device-id=0x126 injection via DSDT though)

My Z68MA UEFI works slimpy perfect. Sleep/ auto-sleep, never saw a KP and I update from AppleStore without backup, I really trust on it (My important files and setups are on hdd, just had ssd to system) and I am not using DSDT.

If you follow that guide, don't choose USB3.0 from multibeast. Since 10.8.2, usb 3.0 it is supported. I wouldn't choose "3rd Party Sata", only if you really need.

Thanks for all the replies, so much help :)

The system definition is MacPro 3,1 at present, I'll switch to iMac 12,2 if the problems arrise before I make the jump to UEFI on the M/Board.

Updated to UEFI, what a PITA that was, eventually found out you cannot use Q Flash to upgrade from F version BIOS' to UEFi so after much messing around with FreeDOS DVDs I ended up creating a Windows 98 USB boot drive and it was done in 5 minutes.

Machine seems to be a bit quicker, boots lightning fast.

Same graphics card problems, I'm noticing more and more that if I'm in Chrome and Shockwave/Flash crashes then a system hang is not too far away.

I've disabled hardware acceleration in Flash to see if this has any effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back