Contribute
Register

Running Logic Pro X on Dell XPS 15?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte > Need full model # > See Rules!
CPU
i7 > Need full model # > See Rules!
Graphics
Nvidia > Need model # > See Rules!
I have a Dell XPS 15 that I wanted to make into a hackintosh so I can run Logic Pro X.

Any complications that might come up, before I do so?

Will be using an audio interface and things like that, wondering if there might just be too many complications, and maybe saving up for a MacBook Pro might be best?

I have a Dell XPS 15 that I wanted to make into a hackintosh so I can run Logic Pro X.

Any complications that might come up, before I do so?

Will be using an audio interface and things like that, wondering if there might just be too many complications, and maybe saving up for a MacBook Pro might be best?

It could go either way. If you're a geek who loves to tinker with computers, it may not be an issue. There is definitely some tinkering involved, and it took me a while to get a stable platform for Pro Tools. I saved money, got a killer system, but it took a lot of personal effort. Plus, when new OS revisions arrive, you run the risk of breaking your system with an update, so you've got to be willing to dive back into the build process, troubleshoot, and hopefully arrive in better shape.

If you can't stand the risk, don't enjoy the tinkering challenge, or are doing any mission-critical work, you may bow out.

It could go either way. If you're a geek who loves to tinker with computers, it may not be an issue. There is definitely some tinkering involved, and it took me a while to get a stable platform for Pro Tools. I saved money, got a killer system, but it took a lot of personal effort. Plus, when new OS revisions arrive, you run the risk of breaking your system with an update, so you've got to be willing to dive back into the build process, troubleshoot, and hopefully arrive in better shape.

If you can't stand the risk, don't enjoy the tinkering challenge, or are doing any mission-critical work, you may bow out.

Thanks Kapn, I made one hackintosh back in 2011, there were some issues but I still use Logic Pro 9 on there.

Right now Dell XPS 9550's are selling for $900 on ebay, my machine is almost new, and a macbook pro is $2700 so I'm gonna try the hackintosh route. I only want to record a few tracks, nothing crazy, so won't be too load-sensitive I think.

Thank you for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back