Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce 2070 Super OC
This solution has been discussed several places already, but I never seemed to find a conclusion on whether it works or not. For me it worked out of the box!

My setup:
LG Ultrafine 27" 5K
Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi
Intel i5–9600K
Gigabyte GeForce 2070 Super OC
Gigabyte Titan Ridge TB3 card
Windows 10

I sticked with Gigabyte for my build, just to ensure compatibility, but you don't have to, as long as your MB has the THB header that you'll need to connect your Titan Ridge TB3 card.
  • Connect the two DP cables that came with the Titan Ridge card - from the DP outs of your GPU into the DP ins in Titan Ridge. Then connect your TB3 cable from Titan Ridge into your LG Ultrafine.
  • It worked instantly at boot - without any trouble. Windows gives me true 5K. No need to do anything in BIOS or anywhere. Note: I installed the Titan Ridge driver when I installed Windows using my TV screen as a monitor via HDMI. But I’m not sure if this is really necessary.

• By the way, X-Plane automatically supported 5K, I'm getting decent frame rates of 30-40fps with all graphic settings on 80% of max!
Maybe a bit off topic for a Hackintosh forum, but I thought it could be interesting, since I've seen it discussed elsewhere.

Last edited:
Hi there

So are you able to use your Ultrafine 5k starting from the boot process?
Is it the only monitor connected?
Do you have the old or the new one?

Yes it boots up with the Ultrafine 5k without problems.
No I have also had secondary monitors (VR headset) connected. It all works like a regular monitor.
I bought it in January 2020, so I guess it’s the new one.

Thanks for your reply.
I assume you can change brightness using your keyboard when running MacOS, right? Do the USB ports work too?
I have the old Ultrafine 5k, not sure whether to go on with a Hackintosh build or not...

Yes. It has more functionality when connected to a mac. I used it with a MBP and a gaming build PC. I’m gonna build a hackintosh soon and plan to use this monitor, so I will definitely post an update when I know...

Cool, let's keep in touch. I might go for the Hackintosh route as well, but I have the older Ultrafine monitor.

Hackintosh now up & running perfectly

z390 aorus pro wifi
i9-9900k
titan ridge tb3 card
LG ultrafine 5K (tb3)
Universal Audio x8p sound card (tb3)
Lacie tb3-disks
ProTools system up & running on Catalina

actually quite hassle free to set up!

Hackintosh now up & running perfectly

z390 aorus pro wifi
i9-9900k
titan ridge tb3 card
LG ultrafine 5K (tb3)
Universal Audio x8p sound card (tb3)
Lacie tb3-disks
ProTools system up & running on Catalina

actually quite hassle free to set up!
Are you able to get true 5k on Mac when you plugin 2x mini dp in? Mine doesn't seems to work.
I was thinking I was on true 5k as it shows in System Information.
Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 12.04.56 AM.png

but then I connect my MBP with Ultrafine ... it shows better quality especially when you look at font sharpness on the menu bar

I'm on z370 aorus gaming 7
i9-9900k
alpine ridge tb3 card
LG ultrafine 5K tb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back