Contribute
Register

Ruined(?) El Capitan install after changing administrative read/write settings on system drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
I recently redid my (non-Clover) Yosemite installation with an El Capitan install. Followed the guide here to a T (with a lot of injecting nv_disable=1 into the bootflags to actually complete it). There were still a few nagging issues to resolve (USB 3.0, etc.) but overall, I was very happy with my new installation. Massive improvement over my Yosemite system in several areas, likely thanks to Clover.

BUT. Tonight I may have just botched it all and I'm wondering if anyone has a possible solution, so I don't have to spend another day reinstalling my system.

I have a second user account that had some issues accessing quite a few folders that it should have been able to write to. Bad permissions, likely. For instance, the user wasn't even able to write to its own personal Documents folder. So to fix that, I right clicked my El Capitan hard drive, changed it to read/write for administrators, and clicked "apply to all enclosed items." This is a fix I've done many times before, both on previous Hackintoshes and on genuine Macs.

But this time, as the progress bar slowly ticked by, I was beset by an avalanche of error messages, saying that all these kexts were no longer working properly (I didn't screencap them, but they were things like Apple_XXXX_.kext or whatever)... tons and tons and tons of them. Dozens? Hundreds? Maybe even every single system extension on the entire system, for all I know. They seemed to repeat a lot of the same ones, too... I just held down enter and let it speed through them over the course of about a minute.

I shut my computer down and rebooted to see if the messages would resurface... and now I'm stuck at the black boot screen with the Apple logo. First, the progress bar fills to about halfway and then starts really slowing down. Way slower than a normal boot. Then as it gradually gets to the finish, it hangs and never actually boots.

Anyone know what could be up? This feels damn strange to me... an El Capitan error? Or perhaps a Clover one? I feel like I should be able to change read/write settings for the entire drive without the system becoming unbootable.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
I'm wondering if I should mount my El Capitan drive on a working Mac and edit the system preferences folder to be read only for administrators... but I'm not sure if those settings would carry back over to the system if I boot the El Capitan drive again.

neilhart

Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming - ITX/ac
CPU
i7-7700T
Graphics
GTX960
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm wondering if I should mount my El Capitan drive on a working Mac and edit the system preferences folder to be read only for administrators... but I'm not sure if those settings would carry back over to the system if I boot the El Capitan drive again.

Well if this were my system, I would restore from TimeMachine or a clone backup.

Good modding,
neil

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
And if I were smart... I would have made one before this happened!

Status
Not open for further replies.