Gigabyte Z390i Aorus Wifi
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
Gigabyte RX580
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi guys,
I switched my 5700 xt for a 3080 FE and tried to boot MacOs Catalina again via OpenCore (v0.61)
Surprisingly it worked natively !
It shows 22mb of VRAM and it's a bit slow to use but it's working.
Screenshot 2020-11-09 at 23.52.01.png

I always heard that Nvidia would never be compatible again so how is it possible ? Any hope to get it fully working ?

My setup :
-MB : Aorus Z390i Pro wifi
-CPU : i9 9900K
-GPU : RTX 3080 FE
-Ram : 16GB DDR4 Corsair

Last edited:
Any hope to get it fully working ?
None, for that you would need drivers and there simply are not any with no prospect of any appearing.

Pilgrim, SNAP!

It works in VESA mode, but not well in macOS Catalina. It has no acceleration and limited memory available.

This is a common misconception, Nvidia GPU's other than the old Kepler series do not work in Mojave or Catalina and soon to be released Big Sur. No matter if the system boots with the card installed. It will never work correctly as there are no drivers available.

None, for that you would need drivers and there simply are not any with no prospect of any appearing.
Pilgrim, SNAP!

It works in VESA mode, but not well in macOS Catalina. It has no acceleration and limited memory available.

This is a common misconception, Nvidia GPU's other than the old Kepler series do not work in Mojave or Catalina and soon to be released Big Sur. No matter if the system boots with the card installed. It will never work correctly as there are no drivers available.
Ok it answers it all, what a shame no drivers will exist but kind of a good surprise it booted up right away
Thanks guys

but kind of a good surprise it booted up right away
Not a surprise.
Booting with nv_disable=1 disables any Nvidia drivers allowing the graphics to function in VESA mode with no acceleration.

Not a surprise.
Booting with nv_disable=1 disables any Nvidia drivers allowing the graphics to function in VESA mode with no acceleration.
Ok well, it all makes sense now Thanks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back