Contribute
Register

RTX 2080Ti/2080/2070

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just about to upgrade to 1080ti Gpu for my hackintosh which is a i7 8400k cpu and I had £300 credit with the store shall I jump the gun and upgrade to 2080ti and run the card in optimised until support is available ?? Not sure wha to do but I want as powerful as possible for video and 3D editing.

What are your thoughts

I was just about to upgrade to 1080ti Gpu for my hackintosh which is a i7 8400k cpu and I had £300 credit with the store shall I jump the gun and upgrade to 2080ti and run the card in optimised until support is available ?? Not sure wha to do but I want as powerful as possible for video and 3D editing.

What are your thoughts

It may be awhile before the web drivers are ready, do you have Windows use? For editing in MacOS?

No WiNdows use as yet.
Is there a better Gpu than 2080ti that is supported ??

I do a LOT of editing and 3D has to be fast.

RX Vega cards are supported, they are not as fast in gaming or with windows apps but MacOS apps run well on them. High Sierra and Mojave has native support so no need for web drivers. If you only need it for Mac it’s a good choice.

Thanks guys. I know 1080 ti works so upgraded to that and the store owner offered me a swap out for anything like 2080ti for cost price difference when he has in stock and when it’s supported.

The 1080ti is run in fast but the cpu says 3.7 unknown. Anyone know how to rectify this. Also has anyone overclocked the i7 8400k at a safe rate ??

Sorry pretty new to this ;)

I've pre-ordered a GTX 2080 Ti, I dual boot a lot so I might use this in windows primarily, lets see if there will be OSX Nvidia drivers at any point. The 1080 Ti card works quite well in OSX playing Tomb Raider at 4k@60Hz.

Got my RTX 2080Ti yesterday and it doesn't look like it's supported by the current version of the nVidia webdriver :( I'm on latest version of High Sierra since there is no working webdriver for Mojave. It worked without any problems with my GTX 1080Ti, so I guess the RTX cards are just not supported by the webdriver, tried to check for updates, but none were found. Maybe there is some workaround but had not time to dig deeper yesterday. Really bad times for nVidia and macOS atm.

RX Vega cards are supported, they are not as fast in gaming or with windows apps but MacOS apps run well on them. High Sierra and Mojave has native support so no need for web drivers. If you only need it for Mac it’s a good choice.

Vega 64 is a very fast GPU, especially in compute operations like OpenCL etc.

For games, it's not as good as a 1080Ti, it sits between the 1070 and 1080 and sometimes trades blows with the 1080 in some optimized games.

But other than that, it is an excellent GPU for pro apps like Davinci Resolve, Premiere, FCPX etc.

Anyone who REALLY wants to get a 2080Ti, I recommend you go with a Vega 64 and then when drivers are out sell it and buy a 2080Ti....

But I may be the only one who brings this up, but is it really worth paying $1200+ for a GPU that will not really help you in professional work? It's only really good if you are a gamer and want to get 60fps at 4k. Anyone who's interested in realtime Raytracing, prepare to only get 1920x1080 @ 30fps with these cards as they are 1st gen RTX cards. You have to turn it off if you want to play games at higher resolutions and framerates. It's just not ready for prime-time, but it's a great start for what it is.

Honestly if you NEED CUDA, stick to Windows. You may be doing some heavy lifting if you need that many CUDA cores...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back