Contribute
Register

Robbish's 8yr old ATX IvyBridge Hackintosh GA-Z77-DS3H - i5-3570K - HD 4000 [OpenCore/macOS Big Sur]

Status
Not open for further replies.
USBPorts.kext - My custom USB Port Limit Patch, (this will be created later in Post Install)
This is what the guide says...The USBPorts.kext is created in Post Install. But you are saying I need to create it Pre Install. To do this properly, needs to be done using Hackintool in macOS, but then how would anyone be able to do a fresh install of macOS if they don't already have macOS?

This is what the guide says...The USBPorts.kext is created in Post Install. But you are saying I need to create it Pre Install. To do this properly, needs to be done using Hackintool in macOS, but then how would anyone be able to do a fresh install of macOS if they don't already have macOS?

You say that you thought USBPorts.kext is for post install only. Well not necessarily. Since Big Sur 11.3, USB configuration using standard methods has been broken. That is why we recommend using Catalina to create your USBPorts.kext and then carry that forward to later updates.

When you start to install Big Sur it's possible that the USB sub-system will become disabled during the process, scuppering it all. In that case having a pre-made USBPorts.kext in the EFI/kexts folder of your installer, will help.

Also, the fact you are just using other members EFI folders puts you at a disadvantage because you don't always know what is going on. For example, your hardware might be superfiicially the same but is the brand of SSD or the BIOS settings the same? Small stuff that makes a difference.

Also, the fact you are just using other members EFI folders puts you at a disadvantage because you don't always know what is going on. For example, your hardware might be superfiicially the same but is the brand of SSD or the BIOS settings the same? Small stuff that makes a difference.
I have the exact same specs as @BayCityRoller and he successfully used this guide to install Big Sur using Robbish's EFI folder including Robbish's USB mapping and even Robbish's SSDT-PM (see this thread). It's possible he altered the config.plist slightly but no way to know which is why I am hoping he will see this and share his final working EFI folder with me. We have the same MB, CPU, and GPU and we have both set our BIOS settings exactly as this guide says to. I've never seen anywhere in any Hackintosh install ever (been making hackintosh's since Snow Leopard) where the hard drive brand matters.

I am trying this from windows and I see option P to dump DSDT but don't see any option to "dump your own SSDT-EC"
Options 1 though to 8 dump your SSDTs. However, the only SSDT that will be useful for your Z77 motherboard from SSDTTime is the FakeEC (aka SSDT_EC).

For power management, you would need to use the PikeRAlpha method (as per my guide's Power Management )

I have the exact same specs as @BayCityRoller and he successfully used this guide to install Big Sur using Robbish's EFI folder including Robbish's USB mapping and even Robbish's SSDT-PM (see this thread). It's possible he altered the config.plist slightly but no way to know which is why I am hoping he will see this and share his final working EFI folder with me. We have the same MB, CPU, and GPU and we have both set our BIOS settings exactly as this guide says to. I've never seen anywhere in any Hackintosh install ever (been making hackintosh's since Snow Leopard) where the hard drive brand matters.

Opinion noted.

However you then have to ask why your build is not working if it is identical?

Logic suggests that something is different. I was just offering a couple of ideas ...

As you have been hackintoshing since Snow Leopard - that's 2009 - then you must surely understand that.

also with the USB port mapping, your case may differ in regards to front usb ports

also the sacrifice of some of the ports at the back of the machine and any other internal ports you may or may not be using

I created my own USBPorts.kext in Catalina and also my own SSDT-EC. However, still the installer USB stops booting at the same spot.

@Robbish the power management step is Post Install correct? I should not have an SSDT-PM file in my Install USB EFI folder, correct? Right now I am just trying to get the Install USB to boot to the GUI.

I have no way of creating this file in my Catalina installation which runs on Clover. I have tried switching this installation from Clover to OpenCore without success. For some strange reason, the OC bootloader doesn't see the Catalina APFS partition. I have taken all of the troubleshooting steps possible for this problem and still the partition doesn't show. The only option I have of installing big sur is a Fresh Install on a blank HDD. In order to do that, I need the OpenCore USB Installer to boot. Based on your guide here, I don't need the PM file nor the USBKexts file (although I did create the USBKext anyway) for initial install, correct? For the sake of being thorough, I have also tried using the prebuild EC file for Ivy Bridge but that didn't help either.

Last edited:
Got it working. All good now. Thank you!

Last edited:
TIP: Do Not sign into your Apple ID (iServices) until you have created and validated a compatible macOS Big Sur SMBIOS and your Network devices are configured in the correct order e.g, Lan = en0, Wifi = en1, Bluetooth = en2
@Robbish My network devices are Bluetoodh Pan = en0, Lan = en1. How can I change the order? (I don't have wifi - my intel card is not supported).

Also, do you know why my Atheros AR8151 onboard Ethernet wouldn't be working with the AtherosE2200Ethernet kext? Only the onboard Intel works with IntelMausi. Not a big deal, just curious.

Lastly, would you know if it's possible to upgrade this install to Monterey using SMBIOS iMacpro1,1? Software Update is telling me Monterey is available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back