Contribute
Register

Robbish's 8yr old ATX IvyBridge Hackintosh GA-Z77-DS3H - i5-3570K - HD 4000 [OpenCore/macOS Big Sur]

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my 3770k setup, the aged Nvidia gtx 680 by Gigabyte features VGA output over DVI-I. Perhaps that is something the card is doing then? Great card for the time, even had 1st gen NVENC encoding for Ffmpeg. That is why I thought VGA was still functional. I find vga useful for VGA to Composite adapters to UHF modulation for utilizing retro television sets over a CAT-TV coaxial system. I suppose I can use a hdmi to vga adapter.

In my 3770k setup, the aged Nvidia gtx 680 by Gigabyte features VGA output over DVI-I. Perhaps that is something the card is doing then? Great card for the time, even had 1st gen NVENC encoding for Ffmpeg. That is why I thought VGA was still functional which I find useful for my VGA to Composite adapters to UHF modulation for retro television sets over cattv. I suppose I can use a hdmi to vga adapte.
some adaptors may work

I have the exact same MB, CPU, and Graphics as @BayCityRoller but can't seem to get Big Sur installer to boot to GUI. I have used @Robbish 0.7.6 EFI just like BayCityRoller did (I removed the SSDT-PM.aml and USBPorts.kext since they aren't needed until post install, right?) and it almost boots but stops at the attached image. I tried replacing SSDT-EC.aml with the prebuild one for Ivy Bridge but stops at the same spot. I have set all of BIOS Settings as the guide suggest with the exception of Peripherals>Super IO Config which doesn't seem to be available on my MB but shouldn't matter for the install anyway. I would love to get my hands on @BayCityRoller 's EFI folder

Attachments

• IMG_2207.jpg
    IMG_2207.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
- Download and extract SSDTTime zip and launch the app,
- Select the option to dump your DSDT
- Select the option to dump your own SSDT-EC
- Go to the Results Folder and copy the SSDT.EC.aml to a Fat32 formatted flash drive and copy it your EFI > OC > ACPI folder
I am trying this from windows and I see option P to dump DSDT but don't see any option to "dump your own SSDT-EC"

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    31.1 KB · Views: 18
I have the exact same MB, CPU, and Graphics as @BayCityRoller but can't seem to get Big Sur installer to boot to GUI. I have used @Robbish 0.7.6 EFI just like BayCityRoller did (I removed the SSDT-PM.aml and USBPorts.kext since they aren't needed until post install, right?) and it almost boots but stops at the attached image. I tried replacing SSDT-EC.aml with the prebuild one for Ivy Bridge but stops at the same spot. I have set all of BIOS Settings as the guide suggest with the exception of Peripherals>Super IO Config which doesn't seem to be available on my MB but shouldn't matter for the install anyway. I would love to get my hands on @BayCityRoller 's EFI folder
you need to have your USB Ports setup correctly before installing

install Catalina then do this:

then upgrade

I have Catalina installed (with clover) but can't upgrade from there. I get some msg saying something like Big Sur can't be installed on this system. I want to just do a fresh install of Big Sur with OpenCore

I have Catalina installed (with clover) but can't upgrade from there. I get some msg saying something like Big Sur can't be installed on this system. I want to just do a fresh install of Big Sur with OpenCore
the guide here uses opencore

the guide here uses opencore
Are you reading anything I am writing? "I want to just do a fresh install of Big Sur with OpenCore"

I am attempting to get a working USB installer of Big Sur with OpenCore! Post #106 Clearly shows that I am following this guide using Opencore. BayCityRoller, with the same exact specs as me, used this guide with Robbish's EFI and was able to install Big Sur. For some unknown reason, my installer is not working as shown in post 106. Please help with this issue. If I can't get the USB installer to boot with Opencore, then there is no reason to attempt to change my current Catalina install to Opencore just to attemp a directr upgrade from there. I've already attempted to directly upgrade from Catalina using clover and It won't work. I don't actually need any apps or files from Catalina so I am fine with a fresh install of Big Sur with Opencore. I actually have an unused HDD that I want to attemp the install on first before i overwrite my Catalina installation. To do this, I need the USB installer to boot!

Last edited:
Are you reading anything I am writing? "I want to just do a fresh install of Big Sur with OpenCore"

I am attempting to get a working USB installer of Big Sur with OpenCore! Post #106 Clearly shows that I am following this guide using Opencore. BayCityRoller, with the same exact specs as me, used this guide with Robbish's EFI and was able to install Big Sur. For some unknown reason, my installer is not working as shown in post 106. Please help with this issue. If I can't get the USB installer to boot with Opencore, then there is no reason to attempt to change my current Catalina install to Opencore just to attemp a directr upgrade from there. I've already attempted to directly upgrade from Catalina using clover and It won't work. I don't actually need any apps or files from Catalina so I am fine with a fresh install of Big Sur with Opencore. I actually have an unused HDD that I want to attemp the install on first before i overwrite my Catalina installation. To do this, I need the USB installer to boot!
you still need the USBPorts.kext (a properly created one for your system) to help with your installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back