Contribute
Register

Robbish's 8yr old ATX IvyBridge Hackintosh GA-Z77-DS3H - i5-3570K - HD 4000 [OpenCore/macOS Big Sur]

Status
Not open for further replies.
iMacpro1,1 SMBIOS is best IMHO for Ivy Bridge + dGPU such as RX XXX = it decodes everything in the GPU compared to the CPU, macOS is way faster when there are heavy folders (i.e. display app folder immediately, no loading time). Better DRM management too. In other words, you have all the advantages of modern hacks.

The only downside is that CPU PM steps are higher.

@Robbish would you know whether the output of ssdtPRGen is SMBIOS dependent?

I'm wondering as I'm still trying to determine the best SMBIOS for my system with Big Sur being a deprecated Ivy Bridge. Currently using 15.1 but thinking Macpro 1.1? Also overclocked to 4.5 Ghz.

@Robbish would you know whether the output of ssdtPRGen is SMBIOS dependent?

ssdtPRGen will always use the SMBIOS that you have set in your platform ID settings however you can override just about any setting on ssdtPRGen (even the DSDT)

I did an experiment with ssdtPRGen when I was writing up my build. I tried overriding iMac14,4 in the terminal by using the following switches -m and - b (below) however it did not make a difference to the one I'm using in my build guide but YMMV

~/ssdtPRGen.sh -f 4200 -m macmini6,2 -b Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED

Robbish,​

can u help me pls?
Sorry Mister24041994, I have no experience with Asus Sandy Bridge boards as this thread relates to my build and Ivy Bridge really.

The only thing that I can suggest is that you sit down with the Dortania OpenCore Guide for Sandy Bridge and go through the whole guide carefully. Do the install to either macOS Mojave or macOS Catalina first using CorpNewt GibMacOS.

Big Sur can wait until you have macOS Mojave or Catalina up an running. You can then try some workarounds later to do an upgrade install to Big Sur.

Edit: links added

Last edited:
@Westsurf , I did a reboot this morning, selected the ResetNVRAM option in my OpenCore boot menu screen and all is well.

An NVRAM Reset always resets my Start-Up Disk to my Mojave drive and that is what happened again so no issues my end.

If you migrated from Clover to OpenCore then you might want to do some clean up in macOS if you didn't do that initially, here is the link for that.

After that, I would re-flash the BIOS and then re-apply the recommended OpenCore BIOS settings which are mentioned in my build guide if you have an IvyBridge setup like mine.

Good luck

@Westsurf , I did a reboot this morning, selected the ResetNVRAM option in my OpenCore boot menu screen and all is well.

An NVRAM Reset always resets my Start-Up Disk to my Mojave drive and that is what happened again so no issues my end.

If you migrated from Clover to OpenCore then you might want to do some clean up in macOS if you didn't do that initially, here is the link for that.

After that, I would re-flash the BIOS and then re-apply the recommended OpenCore BIOS settings which are mentioned in my build guide if you have an IvyBridge setup like mine.

Good luck
Appreciate the effort and info.

I‘ve obviously got a long trouble shoot in front of me with three variants of Apple OS.

Multiple BIOS reflashes have occurred. No joy there.

My nest step is to strip down the box, remove CMOS battery and go through each drive separately and individually.

Great writeup! I have the same CPU but with a Z77-UD5H motherboard and a NVIDIA 680GTX GPU. I have Big Sur running with OpenCore by essentially copying someone's EFI folder (my attempts at following the Dortana guide failed). I have the IGPU disabled, I think. I would like to clean up/start over following your guide. Any suggestions as to where the differences lie? Thanks!

Hi @patnaik , glad you liked my write-up. My build guide will work exactly the same for your Z77-UD5H/i5-3570k. You could take advantage of intel Quick Sync by enabling your Intel HD4000 Graphics in headless mode (so uses the compute power only) and use your Nvidia 680GTX Kepler card as your primary Graphics. Details are in the External Graphics spoiler of my guide ;)

Thanks @Robbish , I have made the changes to the config.plist to enable the HD4000 graphics in headless mode. Seems to run as before. So how do I know if it is working? Do I need to set anything in BIOS to ensure the IGPU is being used?

Thanks @Robbish , I have made the changes to the config.plist to enable the HD4000 graphics in headless mode. Seems to run as before. So how do I know if it is working? Do I need to set anything in BIOS to ensure the IGPU is being used?

Never mind. I set the IGPU from Auto to Enabled in the BIOS. Now it shows up in the System Report (never knew it was a PCI device).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back