Contribute
Register

Robbish's 8yr old ATX IvyBridge Hackintosh GA-Z77-DS3H - i5-3570K - HD 4000 [OpenCore/macOS Big Sur]

Status
Not open for further replies.
best to reset nvram as well, as happened a few times over the past few days that i have seen, showing previous version

Thanks for the suggestion. Resetting NVRAM helped.

A general question about the SMBIOS definition. If I change it to say iMac15,1 or even iMacpro1,1, will I have to generate new serial numbers to make iMessage working? Because it is quite a pain that I would rather avoid, seeing my current serial numbers work with iMac14,4.

@Robbish a suggestion, I think you should recommend AtherosE2200Ethernet not OSX-ALXEthernet. It is newer, even updated recently, and it has always worked better for me.

My tv is so old it's not even full HD, it's 720p.
You've got to get yourself a 4k TV. macOS on a "retina" display is the only way to go. If I remember correctly, Apple's 17-inch color CRT from the early 1990s (!!!) had a suggested resolution of 1280x1024 — taller than a 720p TV monitor (in pixels). Time to step up from 30 years ago. You'll want to get a plug-n-play Radeon RX 560, which will give you plenty of speed compared to HD4000 and, crucially, HDMI 2.0 support for 60Hz. My RX 560 takes power from the PCI rail, so no worries about what my power supply has (or doesn't have). Plus, very low power and silent almost all of the time.

Yes, the RX 560s are good 4K media center graphics cards but the price for a new one starts at $240 for an off brand card from China. Then add the cost of a new 4K TV and it may not be within the OPs budget. If it is, Robbish could get this Yeston card and have a much better, sharper display to view macOS and stream video too.

https://www.newegg.com/p/27N-0042-00023
You'll want to get a plug-n-play Radeon RX 560, which will give you plenty of speed compared to HD4000 and, crucially, HDMI 2.0 support for 60Hz

A great guide! I miss my Z77 DS3H. It was my first Hackintosh, having run Mavericks through High Sierra. Reminds me of a ton of restarts, kext patches, and Clover migrations...thank you for the post, OP!
Thanks, timsamart! This was my 2nd Hackintosh build. I came from a Asus P5Q Deluxe and moving onto the Z77-DS3H was a great move back then for my budget and most compatibility to Hackintosh.

Thanks for the suggestion. Resetting NVRAM helped.

A general question about the SMBIOS definition. If I change it to say iMac15,1 or even iMacpro1,1, will I have to generate new serial numbers to make iMessage working? Because it is quite a pain that I would rather avoid, seeing my current serial numbers work with iMac14,4.

@Robbish a suggestion, I think you should recommend AtherosE2200Ethernet not OSX-ALXEthernet. It is newer, even updated recently, and it has always worked better for me.
I changed my serial when I moved from macmini6,2 to iMac14,4 so my suggestion to you is, when you are running tests with a different SMBIOS then make sure to sign out of your Apple ID firstly. Run all of your tests in the other new SMBIOS and then when you are happy that everything works then you should generate a new SMBIOS serial and validate it. Once that is working, log back into you Apple ID and Apple will treat your new serial as a new Mac which will be added to your existing account.

Thanks for the suggestions about AtherosE2200Ethernet, I've not used the onboard ethernet for several years so I have it disabled in the BIOS as I use an Intel based Card which works OOB. The ALXEthernet.kext was the last kext that I used prior to switching so I posted what I knew. I will make the change in my next revision of my build post.

You've got to get yourself a 4k TV. macOS on a "retina" display is the only way to go. If I remember correctly, Apple's 17-inch color CRT from the early 1990s (!!!) had a suggested resolution of 1280x1024 — taller than a 720p TV monitor (in pixels). Time to step up from 30 years ago. You'll want to get a plug-n-play Radeon RX 560, which will give you plenty of speed compared to HD4000 and, crucially, HDMI 2.0 support for 60Hz. My RX 560 takes power from the PCI rail, so no worries about what my power supply has (or doesn't have). Plus, very low power and silent almost all of the time.
Thanks for your graphics card suggestions, pwagner. Yeah, I was very interested in a graphics card for this rig. But I missed out on some great refurbished Sapphire RX Cards before Covid-19 hit, and now all graphics cards prices at this current time are silly money (even those on eBay). So I'm not upgrading. I will upgrade my HDTV to a 4K model in the near future though as that is well over due.

Yes, the RX 560s are good 4K media center graphics cards but the price for a new one starts at $240 for an off brand card from China. Then add the cost of a new 4K TV and it may not be within the OPs budget. If it is, Robbish could get this Yeston card and have a much better, sharper display to view macOS and stream video too.

https://www.newegg.com/p/27N-0042-00023
That's right, trs96, I ain't paying those prices. :crazy:

cheers @Nordathings, glad you found my build helpful to you. I don't really Sanity Check my build at the post install stage (which is when I would create my SSDT-PM) so I was unaware of that Warning. However, you don't have to be adhere to all of their warnings. Sanity checker would prefer you to override your Audio layout in boot args. However I set mine in the Plist. But I get where you're coming from, and what you state will help other, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back