Contribute
Register

Robbish's 8yr old ATX IvyBridge Hackintosh GA-Z77-DS3H - i5-3570K - HD 4000 [OpenCore/macOS Big Sur]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really nice job, man! :clap:
really appreciate it giacomo, I've seen your past builds and they are excellent reading and helped me to make my guide to towards that level. Thanks man ;)

Last edited:
Excellent work!!! Old rig but you have be able to update it. It's a very good post.
cheers miliuco,

that's right, Old rig but I have been able to update it. Glad you liked it ;)

Wow! Thank you Robbish! That was a fantastic writeup. I have similar hardware (Z77-DS3H with 3750K). I'm overclocked to 4.2GHz. I got a Radeon RX 560 when I bought my 4K TV to use as a monitor. I've been using my machine since 2012.

Machine is in the living room hooked to my 65-inch dumb TV. (Yes, I appear to have bought the world's last non-spyware television!)..

Thanks wager,@pwagner (apologies for writing your name wrong on first posting this) nice of you to say. You definitely made the most of your Hackintosh and we have the same overclock which is cool. I went through a faze of ripping my DVD and Blu-ray collection to my hard drive but realised that I rarely watch my collection because Netflix and Prime have too much content to keep me busy. Your TV setup is really impressive and your 65" tv is insane. My tv is so old it's not even full HD, it's 720p. It broke down last summer so I purchased a new PSU board for £23 off eBay and fixed it myself. I then realised whilst watching tv content on my 1080p monitor in the interim that I need a better tv so I plan to upgrade :)

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your awesome work!, great write up.
Hey craighazan, you're the guy that made the Hackintosh in a box, that was crazy and I would have never thought of that. I'm sure if Steve Jobs was alive, he would have tweeted Think Different ? on seeing your build (or he might have sued you :lol:). thanks for commenting ;)

I had to get a cable like this View attachment 511714on eBay to make that connection work.

Aside from the sleep challenge, everything else works amazingly well. Other specs on my setup are: i7 3770 CPU, Sapphire RX580, Opencore 0.6.5, Big Sur 11.2.1.
Hey, good to hear you got your Bluetooth working. Did you create your own USBPorts.kext? My understanding is that doing so normally resolves the USB2/Bluetooth issue that many have had, although your 255 issue is very specific. Anyway, if you haven't created your own USBPorts.kext for you board, do that and see if it allows your USB2 connection to work for your Bluetooth adapter :think:

Last edited:
Hi @igorkulman, 3 changes required...

1. If you don't mind to keep running Catalina, I suggest using iMac13,2 SMBIOS in PlatformInfo/Generic section. Not sure for Big Sur, but iMac15,1 should be fine.

2. Configure your iGPU as headless in DeviceProperties section.
XML:
<key>DeviceProperties</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Add</key>
        <dict>
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
                <data>BwBiAQ==</data>
                <key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
                <string>Internal@0,2,0</string>
                <key>device_type</key>
                <string>Graphics Controller</string>
                <key>hda-gfx</key>
                <string>onboard-1</string>
                <key>model</key>
                <string>Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Headless)</string>
            </dict>
        </dict>
    </dict>

3. Add agdpmod=pikera to NVRAM/Add/7C436110.../boot-args section.
XML:
<key>NVRAM</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Add</key>
        <dict>
            <key>7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>
            <dict>
                <key>boot-args</key>
                <string>agdpmod=pikera</string>
            </dict>
        </dict>
    </dict>

Thanks for this. I made the changes 2 and 3 (kept iMac14,4 SMBIOS), put in my serial numbers and SSDT for an overclock from Clover. Testing the EFI now booted from a flash drive, everything seems fine.

@Robbish are you sure the EFI is OpenCore 0.6.7? Says 0.6.3 when booted

Code:
~
❯ nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:opencore-version
4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:opencore-version    REL-063-2020-11-02

Last edited:
Thanks for this. I made the changes 2 and 3 (kept iMac14,4 SMBIOS), put in my serial numbers and SSDT for an overclock from Clover. Testing the EFI now booted from a flash drive, everything seems fine.

Code:
~

I'm sure it is OpenCore ver.0.6.7 , note the date 1 March 2021 of the following ; BOOTx64.efi , OpenRuntime.efi and OpenCore.efi as those driver's ship with OpenCore

As you're using a graphics card, you are better off with iMac15,1 (that's made for Haswell with dGPU) as iMac14,4 is made for Haswell with iGPU or consider CrashMidnick's suggestion of iMacpro1,1

Last edited:

Code:
~
best to reset nvram as well, as happened a few times over the past few days that i have seen, showing previous version

I did a lot of testing of USB with Hackintool on the Z77P, creating both USBPorts.kext and custom-created SSDT_UIAC.aml. But with the BT USB cable connected to the EHC1/2 or EH01/2 controller (including setting it as "internal/255"), the Z77P will NOT sleep. I also did renaming of EHC1/2 to EH01/2. My conclusion: the only way to get the Z77P to sleep was with the BT USB plug connected to a USB3 (XHC) connector AND set as "internal/255", or simply leaving the cable disconnected. More background on this Z77/USB/BT/Sleep issue here. Coincidentally, I also discovered this exact same issue on the HP 8300, which also uses a combination of EHC1 and XHC USB controllers. USB ports look like this now:

View attachment 511758

For me, I really just wanted to get the Airdrop function working. The only way I can get Airdrop to work is with the BCM94360 WiFi card AND its bluetooth cable connected. Without the BCM94360 bluetooth plugged in, Airdrop will not work.

Attached is the EFI I'm using right now that seems to be working excellent (SMBIOS data wiped).
I see what you mean after reading that link. Fair enough, it's not a bad workaround, shame it effects sleep.

A great guide! I miss my Z77 DS3H. It was my first Hackintosh, having run Mavericks through High Sierra. Reminds me of a ton of restarts, kext patches, and Clover migrations...thank you for the post, OP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back