Contribute
Register

Robbish's 8yr old ATX IvyBridge Hackintosh GA-Z77-DS3H - i5-3570K - HD 4000 [OpenCore/macOS Big Sur]

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H-F11a
CPU
i5-3570K OC @ 4.2GHz
Graphics
HD 4000
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I did a lot of testing of USB with Hackintool on the Z77P, creating both USBPorts.kext and custom-created SSDT_UIAC.aml. But with the BT USB cable connected to the EHC1/2 or EH01/2 controller (including setting it as "internal/255"), the Z77P will NOT sleep. I also did renaming of EHC1/2 to EH01/2. My conclusion: the only way to get the Z77P to sleep was with the BT USB plug connected to a USB3 (XHC) connector AND set as "internal/255", or simply leaving the cable disconnected. More background on this Z77/USB/BT/Sleep issue here. Coincidentally, I also discovered this exact same issue on the HP 8300, which also uses a combination of EHC1 and XHC USB controllers. USB ports look like this now:

View attachment 511758

For me, I really just wanted to get the Airdrop function working. The only way I can get Airdrop to work is with the BCM94360 WiFi card AND its bluetooth cable connected. Without the BCM94360 bluetooth plugged in, Airdrop will not work.

Attached is the EFI I'm using right now that seems to be working excellent (SMBIOS data wiped).
I see what you mean after reading that link. Fair enough, it's not a bad workaround, shame it effects sleep.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
A great guide! I miss my Z77 DS3H. It was my first Hackintosh, having run Mavericks through High Sierra. Reminds me of a ton of restarts, kext patches, and Clover migrations...thank you for the post, OP!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
RX 570
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
best to reset nvram as well, as happened a few times over the past few days that i have seen, showing previous version

Thanks for the suggestion. Resetting NVRAM helped.

A general question about the SMBIOS definition. If I change it to say iMac15,1 or even iMacpro1,1, will I have to generate new serial numbers to make iMessage working? Because it is quite a pain that I would rather avoid, seeing my current serial numbers work with iMac14,4.

@Robbish a suggestion, I think you should recommend AtherosE2200Ethernet not OSX-ALXEthernet. It is newer, even updated recently, and it has always worked better for me.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i5-3570K @ 4.1 GHz OC
Graphics
Intel version # > See Rules!
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My tv is so old it's not even full HD, it's 720p.
You've got to get yourself a 4k TV. macOS on a "retina" display is the only way to go. If I remember correctly, Apple's 17-inch color CRT from the early 1990s (!!!) had a suggested resolution of 1280x1024 — taller than a 720p TV monitor (in pixels). Time to step up from 30 years ago. You'll want to get a plug-n-play Radeon RX 560, which will give you plenty of speed compared to HD4000 and, crucially, HDMI 2.0 support for 60Hz. My RX 560 takes power from the PCI rail, so no worries about what my power supply has (or doesn't have). Plus, very low power and silent almost all of the time.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Yes, the RX 560s are good 4K media center graphics cards but the price for a new one starts at $240 for an off brand card from China. Then add the cost of a new 4K TV and it may not be within the OPs budget. If it is, Robbish could get this Yeston card and have a much better, sharper display to view macOS and stream video too.

https://www.newegg.com/p/27N-0042-00023
You'll want to get a plug-n-play Radeon RX 560, which will give you plenty of speed compared to HD4000 and, crucially, HDMI 2.0 support for 60Hz

Motherboard
CPU
i5-3570K OC @ 4.2GHz
Graphics
HD 4000
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
A great guide! I miss my Z77 DS3H. It was my first Hackintosh, having run Mavericks through High Sierra. Reminds me of a ton of restarts, kext patches, and Clover migrations...thank you for the post, OP!
Thanks, timsamart! This was my 2nd Hackintosh build. I came from a Asus P5Q Deluxe and moving onto the Z77-DS3H was a great move back then for my budget and most compatibility to Hackintosh.

Motherboard
CPU
i5-3570K OC @ 4.2GHz
Graphics
HD 4000
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Thanks for the suggestion. Resetting NVRAM helped.

A general question about the SMBIOS definition. If I change it to say iMac15,1 or even iMacpro1,1, will I have to generate new serial numbers to make iMessage working? Because it is quite a pain that I would rather avoid, seeing my current serial numbers work with iMac14,4.

@Robbish a suggestion, I think you should recommend AtherosE2200Ethernet not OSX-ALXEthernet. It is newer, even updated recently, and it has always worked better for me.
I changed my serial when I moved from macmini6,2 to iMac14,4 so my suggestion to you is, when you are running tests with a different SMBIOS then make sure to sign out of your Apple ID firstly. Run all of your tests in the other new SMBIOS and then when you are happy that everything works then you should generate a new SMBIOS serial and validate it. Once that is working, log back into you Apple ID and Apple will treat your new serial as a new Mac which will be added to your existing account.

Thanks for the suggestions about AtherosE2200Ethernet, I've not used the onboard ethernet for several years so I have it disabled in the BIOS as I use an Intel based Card which works OOB. The ALXEthernet.kext was the last kext that I used prior to switching so I posted what I knew. I will make the change in my next revision of my build post.

Motherboard
CPU
i5-3570K OC @ 4.2GHz
Graphics
HD 4000
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
You've got to get yourself a 4k TV. macOS on a "retina" display is the only way to go. If I remember correctly, Apple's 17-inch color CRT from the early 1990s (!!!) had a suggested resolution of 1280x1024 — taller than a 720p TV monitor (in pixels). Time to step up from 30 years ago. You'll want to get a plug-n-play Radeon RX 560, which will give you plenty of speed compared to HD4000 and, crucially, HDMI 2.0 support for 60Hz. My RX 560 takes power from the PCI rail, so no worries about what my power supply has (or doesn't have). Plus, very low power and silent almost all of the time.
Thanks for your graphics card suggestions, pwagner. Yeah, I was very interested in a graphics card for this rig. But I missed out on some great refurbished Sapphire RX Cards before Covid-19 hit, and now all graphics cards prices at this current time are silly money (even those on eBay). So I'm not upgrading. I will upgrade my HDTV to a 4K model in the near future though as that is well over due.

Motherboard
CPU
i5-3570K OC @ 4.2GHz
Graphics
HD 4000
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Yes, the RX 560s are good 4K media center graphics cards but the price for a new one starts at $240 for an off brand card from China. Then add the cost of a new 4K TV and it may not be within the OPs budget. If it is, Robbish could get this Yeston card and have a much better, sharper display to view macOS and stream video too.

https://www.newegg.com/p/27N-0042-00023
That's right, trs96, I ain't paying those prices. :crazy:

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA Z68XP-UD3
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
GT 210
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone