Rivet nuts

Discussion in 'Hand Tools' started by minihack, Mar 4, 2013.

1. minihack

minihack

Motherboard:
    Zotac Z77-ITX
    CPU:
    i5 2500k
    Graphics:
    Integrated HD 3000 + MSI Twin Frozr GTX 660
    Mac:
    MacBook Air
    Classic Mac:
    iMac
    Mobile Phone:
    Other
    Mar 4, 2013 at 9:15 PM #1
    minihack

minihack

Motherboard:
    Zotac Z77-ITX
    CPU:
    i5 2500k
    Graphics:
    Integrated HD 3000 + MSI Twin Frozr GTX 660
    Mac:
    MacBook Air
    Classic Mac:
    iMac
    Mobile Phone:
    Other
    One of my favourite tools of the moment is my rivet nut tool. It's not expensive and looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    and you can pick them up pretty cheaply off eBay.

What they do is the fix a rivet nut - again you can buy a bag of these cheaply - into a hole drilled in sheet material (e.g. 1.5mm aluminium sheet) and the result is pretty much a flush surface on one side and a post on the other, the post is internally theaded all the way through.

So, so what? Well on the one hand this can give you a large secure threaded hole, but on the other side (literally) a good secure internally threaded post. I.e. an instant PCB standoff that is fixed very securely to your sheet material. In this way you can quite simply make a really great diy aluminium motherboard tray.

Another use I am putting these to is in my own ATX and mATX IO brackets to give a really secure mount point for PCI-e cards.

It's a great little addition to your toolbox that you'll find a ton of uses for.

Argggh and dysanfel like this.