Contribute
Register

Risks with this MB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
May 15, 2011
Messages
30
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I know the Gigabyte boards are favored here, with the Asus next, but this Asrock board is attractive to me for a number of reasons.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

The only major risk that I can see is the NIC doesn't seem to be directly supported in any way, but I am most likely to be wireless, so that doesn't worry me. Anything else I should worry about?

TIA.
 
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
95
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Joined
May 15, 2011
Messages
30
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I didn't, thanks.

After the many <g> answers on Asrock, I'd been leaning toward one of the Gigabyte boards, just because they're popular here and more likely to be supported. The link doesn't change my mind, but does reinforce one of the reasons I like the Asrock boards--they support on-chip video. That's not useful now for OSX, but I will be dual booting with Win7, so it has value there.
 
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
95
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
solstice said:
I didn't, thanks.

After the many <g> answers on Asrock, I'd been leaning toward one of the Gigabyte boards, just because they're popular here and more likely to be supported. The link doesn't change my mind, but does reinforce one of the reasons I like the Asrock boards--they support on-chip video. That's not useful now for OSX, but I will be dual booting with Win7, so it has value there.

I understand. The intent wasn't to change your mind but rather informational. Tons of support here for gigabyte.
 

Jamesbond007

Moderator
Joined
May 21, 2011
Messages
6,521
Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700KF
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
solstice said:
I didn't, thanks.

After the many <g> answers on Asrock, I'd been leaning toward one of the Gigabyte boards, just because they're popular here and more likely to be supported. The link doesn't change my mind, but does reinforce one of the reasons I like the Asrock boards--they support on-chip video. That's not useful now for OSX, but I will be dual booting with Win7, so it has value there.

I believe Gigabyte also has a number of Z68 motherboards that support the on-die GPU, such as the GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 or the GA-Z68A-D3H-B3. Do these suit your purposes?

Personally I am also interested in the GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 but it is not available at my place for some unknown reason. Oh I hate the Gigabyte distributor here! :banghead:
 
Joined
May 15, 2011
Messages
30
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Jamesbond007 said:
I believe Gigabyte also has a number of Z68 motherboards that support the on-die GPU, such as the GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 or the GA-Z68A-D3H-B3. Do these suit your purposes?

Personally I am also interested in the GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 but it is not available at my place for some unknown reason. Oh I hate the Gigabyte distributor here! :banghead:

I would be interested in one of those, but I would prefer to have on board IEEE 1394, and the GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 and up seem to be the only ones that have that. And none of them appear to support on-die GPU, at least from what I can tell.

I imagine this will sort itself out soon, but I am starting to pull in components for my build, and I will need to decide on a MB soon-ish!
 

Jamesbond007

Moderator
Joined
May 21, 2011
Messages
6,521
Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700KF
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
solstice said:
I would be interested in one of those, but I would prefer to have on board IEEE 1394, and the GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 and up seem to be the only ones that have that. And none of them appear to support on-die GPU, at least from what I can tell.

I imagine this will sort itself out soon, but I am starting to pull in components for my build, and I will need to decide on a MB soon-ish!

The Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 has a Firewire port onboard (and a Firewire connector on the motherboard that allows for another Firewire port) and video outputs onboard.

The GA-Z68A-D3H-B3, on the other hand, does not have Firewire, as you say.
 
Joined
May 15, 2011
Messages
30
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Thanks!

(5th edit....still waking up!)

It seems that the the GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 does not have firewire, but can use on-die GPU; the GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 does not have firewire, but can't use the on-die GPU*. Ideally, I'd like both!

BTW, not sure where you are, but someone from South Africa mentioned getting stuff from Newegg in the US. Had to pay import duty, but at least could get what he wanted.

*6th edit. Newegg says "vga graphics required" Gigabyte's website says:

Integrated in the Chipset:

1 x D-Sub port
1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200
* The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter.
1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200
1 x DisplayPort, supporting a maximum resolution of 2560x1600p

not sure what to make of that.
 

Jamesbond007

Moderator
Joined
May 21, 2011
Messages
6,521
Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700KF
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
solstice said:
Thanks!

(5th edit....still waking up!)

It seems that the the GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 does not have firewire, but can use on-die GPU; the GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 does not have firewire, but can't use the on-die GPU*. Ideally, I'd like both!

BTW, not sure where you are, but someone from South Africa mentioned getting stuff from Newegg in the US. Had to pay import duty, but at least could get what he wanted.

*6th edit. Newegg says "vga graphics required" Gigabyte's website says:

Integrated in the Chipset:

1 x D-Sub port
1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200
* The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter.
1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200
1 x DisplayPort, supporting a maximum resolution of 2560x1600p

not sure what to make of that.

Oh? The GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 does not support on-die GPU??? Then what is the purpose of the onboard video outputs (4 in fact)??

Besides, Gigabyte states on its website that this board can support Virtu, the GPU switching mechanism that allows you to use a discrete display card while still having access to Quick Sync, Sandy Bridge's new feature which requires the on-die GPU be active. So it is quite obvious to me that this board can support the on-die GPU.

And if I were to try to get stuff via Newegg, probably the shipping charge alone will add at least 20-30% to the price, not to mention there will be no warranty services available if the board has a problem. But thank you for your suggestion anyway.
 
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
77
Motherboard
Ivy Bridge CustoMac Pro
CPU
i7-3770k
Graphics
Intel HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I would consider the information on the manufacturer's website to take precedence over Newegg's "general" information. Gigabyte even goes into detail as of the Intel 2000/3000 integrated graphics support under the description for this board. I will probably be choosing this for my build to be setup this month. If anyone gets one setup before I, please keep us updated. Otherwise, I'll post up the results and method for the build.

Here is a direct link to verify the Intel GPU compatibility.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3853#ov
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top