Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX1080
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, I have dualboot windows machine now, each SSD has Win 10. All works great. I have a third SSD which I want to try install High Sierra on it. Will this affect in any way my other 2 SSDs with the Win installs or the HDs with my personal files, or not? Can I try the install and in case of not succeeding just erase and its all good?
Thanks in advance

Hello, I have dualboot windows machine now, each SSD has Win 10. All works great. I have a third SSD which I want to try install High Sierra on it. Will this affect in any way my other 2 SSDs with the Win installs or the HDs with my personal files, or not? Can I try the install and in case of not succeeding just erase and its all good?
Thanks in advance

If you want to try installing MacOS High Sierra on a new SSD, then I recommend temporarily disconnecting the Windows drives from your system first, to avoid the High Sierra installer writing anything to your Windows drives that may interfere with your working Windows installations.

If your Windows drives are all SATA, you may be able to temporarily disable the corresponding SATA ports in the BIOS without physically disconnecting the drives. My Gigabyte motherboards all have this capability.

Thanks in advance

As JamesBond says, if not sure about your bios then disconnect them manually, or at least the Sata cable, power cable is ok.

Install MacOS and follow the entire process before connecting the Windows drives again. After installing MacOS and using clover boot loader your windows drives may not show in Clover boot loader. There is a way to convert these drives to a GUID partition format without losing data so they will be present at boot so you can chose them. I've done that before but had to use the Google to find the method. Now when I install Windows on a drive I always format the disk first in GUID partition then it will automatically be detected by Clover boot loader and Dual boot MAC/Windows is easy.

Thanks for the answers. Will try it today. Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back