Contribute
Register

RIP Gobias’s Haswell Build: GA-Z87X-UD5H - i7-4770K - RX 580 - macOS Big Sur & Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello @Gobias I have been faithfully and silently following you, really thank you for all your posts all this years, you have been a life saver :).

I own a clone (or as close as I could get it) of your Hack, since from day one decided to follow your guides which where clear enough for me to follow :) and since then I always upgraded whatever you upgraded just to keep things simple. Haven't got a wifi card but for the rest we run clones I think. Now I am in the cleaning step/usb mapping you did above before pushing to BigSur and could you please post a copy of your config.plist it will make my life way easier to just compare the two. I attached mine just in case you want to browse it.

One more thing I recently got a 4k monitor went for a Benq since you got one last year and noticed mine has a very bad color banding problem, but if I boot to windows and run the same Eizo monitor test windows driver does a better job and there is no color binding there so googled around saw this post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/colour-banding-issue-on-some-displays.280349/ and followed it, it does work however, it disables hdr so was looking for a way to keep hdr and fix the color issue, if you have any hint on that i would love to hear. I am on 1.4 display port

Thank you!

Attachments

• Clone_config.plist
    7.8 KB · Views: 72
  • BenqEW3280u_yellow.png
    BenqEW3280u_yellow.png
    238.5 KB · Views: 68
  • BenqEW3280u .png
    BenqEW3280u .png
    233.5 KB · Views: 73
Hello @Gobias I have been faithfully and silently following you, really thank you for all your posts all this years, you have been a life saver :).
You're very welcome! I'm not a hackintosh expert, but I'm glad my posts have been helpful.

Now I am in the cleaning step/usb mapping you did above before pushing to BigSur and could you please post a copy of your config.plist it will make my life way easier to just compare the two. I attached mine just in case you want to browse it.
Those steps (and the posts after that) were big learning experiences for me, and I tried to document all the mistakes I made. I'd also recommend reading the posts I made after those steps for any changes I later ended up making to my config.plist and kexts. Let me know if you have any questions about the steps I took.

I've attached two versions of my config.plist. One is the last version from when my system definition was still 14,2. The other is my latest version with my system definition set to 15,1. However, just so you are aware, I have been unable to update from 11.3 to 11.3.1 or 11.4. I also just made a change to my config.plist (not in the attached version) that allowed the 11.4 update installer to run, but now I get a KP on the Apple logo loading screen. I'm still trying to troubleshoot this issue.

I've also attached two versions of USBPorts.kext, one that I made when my system definition was still 14,2, and my current version that I made after I changed my system definition to 15,1.

One more thing I recently got a 4k monitor went for a Benq since you got one last year and noticed mine has a very bad color banding problem, but if I boot to windows and run the same Eizo monitor test windows driver does a better job and there is no color binding there so googled around saw this post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/colour-banding-issue-on-some-displays.280349/ and followed it, it does work however, it disables hdr so was looking for a way to keep hdr and fix the color issue, if you have any hint on that i would love to hear. I am on 1.4 display port
I'm sorry, you're have banding on your monitor. I haven't had that issue, so I don't know any fixes for it. I also haven't really used HDR on my monitor except for testing purposes when I first got it.

Attachments

• config - iMac 14,2.plist
    3.7 KB · Views: 78
  • config - iMac 15,1 Latest.plist
    3.8 KB · Views: 89
  • USBPorts - iMac 14,2.kext.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 70
  • USBPorts - iMac 15,1 Latest.kext.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 100
Now I am in the cleaning step/usb mapping you did above before pushing to Big Sur and could you please post a copy of your config.plist it will make my life way easier to just compare the two.
I have been unable to update from 11.3 to 11.3.1 or 11.4. I also just made a change to my config.plist (not in the attached version) that allowed the 11.4 update installer to run, but now I get a KP on the Apple logo loading screen. I'm still trying to troubleshoot this issue.

OK. I sorted out the issue. Back when I cleaned up my config.plist, I had deleted the Secure parameter, which had been set to false, under the Boot section because I mistakenly thought it wasn't needed. After I added it back to my config.plist, I was able to download and run the macOS 11.4 update installer without any errors. (I think this missing parameter is the reason I also had issues getting the macOS 11.3 installer to work.)

However, after the installation finished, I kept getting a kernel panic on the Apple logo loading screen. After trying a lot of things to get my computer to boot that didn't work, I eventually tried booting into recovery mode and repairing my startup disk and each of its volumes, and now I’m finally able to boot into 11.4 without a KP.

I've attached my latest config.plist with the Secure parameter set to false that is working in macOS 11.4.

Attachments

• config - iMac 15,1 - macOS 11.4.plist
    3.9 KB · Views: 90
OK. I sorted out the issue. Back when I cleaned up my config.plist, I had deleted the Secure parameter, which had been set to false, under the Boot section because I mistakenly thought it wasn't needed. After I added it back to my config.plist, I was able to download and run the macOS 11.4 update installer without any errors. (I think this missing parameter is the reason I also had issues getting the macOS 11.3 installer to work.)

However, after the installation finished, I kept getting a kernel panic on the Apple logo loading screen. After trying a lot of things to get my computer to boot that didn't work, I eventually tried booting into recovery mode and repairing my startup disk and each of its volumes, and now I’m finally able to boot into 11.4 without a KP.

I've attached my latest config.plist with the Secure parameter set to false that is working in macOS 11.4.

Hello @Gobias, thanks for the hard work you've done!

Could you share your EFI folder, please? I struggle with a clean 11.4 build using the same hardware.

My system boots, but I get a kernel panic immediately after login. The same was with OpenCore 0.7.0.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Hello @Gobias, thanks for the hard work you've done!

Could you share your EFI folder, please? I struggle with a clean 11.4 build using the same hardware.

My system boots, but I get a kernel panic immediately after login. The same was with OpenCore 0.7.0.
Sure. Here you go.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.9 MB · Views: 136
Sure. Here you go.

Thank you @Gobias!

Unfortunately, this is the same. My computer still freezes shortly after booting up or logging in. It used to work fine with 11.3 and later.

Crash logs look pretty random to me. Maybe you know what could cause them? /cc @addiss

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 84
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 80
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Thank you @Gobias!

Unfortunately, this is the same. My computer still freezes shortly after booting up or logging in. It used to work fine with 11.3 and later.

Crash logs look pretty random to me. Maybe you know what could cause them? /cc @addiss
I'm sorry, but I'm not an expert at reading logs, so I can't tell what the issue is by looking at them. Try posting the logs and your config.plist in the Big Sur Desktop Support forum if you haven't already to see if someone else can help you.

UPDATE: RIP Hack Pro: My Haswell Build

I'm really late on updating this guide, but sadly, the motherboard on this build died a few months ago. I finally got a new Comet Lake build (reusing some of the parts from this build) up and running. Stay tuned for a new build guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back