Graphics
Nvidia
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Has anyone ever accomplished this? I found several search results where people mention trying (often ending in giving up) but no clear success stories.

As I undertake it the stock G5 PSU is a 1000w model, at least so says the guy whom I'm buying the case from. For my build I'm thinking a 400-500w replacement would do, but honestly, reusing the Apple model seems like it would not only save me a few dollars, but provide a ton of extra wattage for future expansion possibilities.

I'm very handy with a voltmeter, soldering iron, etc, and aren't afraid to get down and dirty...but I guess the big question is, does the stock G5 PSU provide the proper voltages required for a hackintosh build using all the regular hardware?

Thanks all.

Moved to the correct forum section. faq.php

User Builds -> Customization index.php

User Builds == Confirmed User Hardware Builds and Methods

Customization == Modifying, building or reusing Macintosh desktop components to use in a Hackintosh system

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=hack1&thread=1032&page=1

I'm sure it is possible. I did the reverse to use an ATX PSU to test fire a G5 Mobo and of course others have often done the ATX to Mac conversion. Looks from the thread above (I see it is talking about a Mac pro PSU, but think the g5 has similar issues) as if maybe a couple of wires might be missing from the ATX standard that you may have to "re-create" but there's always a way....

Actually, looks like it should be pretty simple, here are the g5 pinouts:

g5psupinoutp1cn8.png
g5psupinoutp2p3.png

and here is the ATX:
ATX pinout.jpeg

If I recall right the G5 PSU requires there to be 5v sensed by the +5v sense pin on the main p1 connector to keep it turned on, but that should be pretty simple.

Attachments

• ATX pinout.jpeg
    ATX pinout.jpeg
    11.4 KB · Views: 3,817
  • g5psupinoutp1cn8.png
    g5psupinoutp1cn8.png
    30 KB · Views: 15,709
  • g5psupinoutp2p3.png
    g5psupinoutp2p3.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 3,294
Any chance of getting this info updated for 24 pin ATX connector with the 8 pin CPU connector? I am getting ready to start a G5 case mod and really would like to use the original PSU. Gotta brand new board and I really want to keep the case as 'original' as possible. I do not have a v/ohm meter otherwise I'd check myself.

Please dont go spending hours on end cutting and soldering the connections on a g5 power supply so you can use a 7-8 year old PSU in your build.

They are pretty inefficient in power use by todays standards and who knows how much longer the caps will last in that thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back