Gigabyte gtx 770
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey Guys, If you want to take advantage of all the goodies of the G5 case, you will want to re-use the current PSU enclosure. This allows utilizing ALL the fan harnesses and prior cooling system as designed by Apple. I've often seen mods which ditch such reuse, because either their motherboard was an ATX vs mATX which is shorter, and needed the additional space, or because a traditional ATX power supply just simply won't fit, which is the most common obstacle I presume. Solutions have been either to, 1) buy a standard PSU and take it apart, or 2) cut into shelf which usually covers power supply and is the floor plate for the inside of the Mac. Both options of course void the warranty of the power supply, until now. I've documented the process, which is very simple and you may read about it here:

http://www.neilab.com/2016/01/26/meet-redux-reuse-g5-power-supply-without-voiding-warranty/

However, the short answer is 1U power supply with rare earth magnets. See attached image to get an idea:

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
Looks pretty neat, thanks for the share!

Neat idea but for the price a higher wattage 1U unit you're probably better off risking the warranty on a less expensive ATX unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back