Graphics
GTX 560 Ti 1.25GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
What are the current limitations in place that prevent Hackintoshes from running at retina resolutions? I can only think of these:

1. Video cards not supporting the resolution (Fixable?)
2. OSX not displaying retina graphics (Fixable)
3. Display/Monitor not having the "retina" pixel density (Are there any that do?)

IMO from the experience I have, it appears that all of these things can be done...

4. Can anyone else shed some input on this subject?
5. Has anyone built a retina hackintosh?
6. Has anyone looked into it before?
7. Do you see any limitations that I do not?
8. Are they fixable?

I guess it depends on what you mean by retina. In general, the display is your first and biggest problem, whether it's a 15" display at 2800 x 1800, or a desktop display at 4K.

What are the current limitations in place that prevent Hackintoshes from running at retina resolutions? I can only think of these:

1. Video cards not supporting the resolution (Fixable?)
2. OSX not displaying retina graphics (Fixable)
3. Display/Monitor not having the "retina" pixel density (Are there any that do?)

IMO from the experience I have, it appears that all of these things can be done...

4. Can anyone else shed some input on this subject?
5. Has anyone built a retina hackintosh?
6. Has anyone looked into it before?
7. Do you see any limitations that I do not?
8. Are they fixable?

Considering that I only know of 1 computer grade display with that high of a pixel density that is going to be your biggest hurdle. But if you want you can certainly buy this monitor and let us know!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002660

uhm, i guess the only limitation is in getting the screen that says retina on it.
Why don't you just buy a super high res screen and then put a sticker on the back that says "retina display."

I have a 11.6" IPS HD (1920 x1080) screen on the Asus Zenbook. It's not as high PPI, but pretty close. Just need to "trick" the OS into thinking it's a retina display?

The cost of a Retina resolution screen would be obscene. I think that's why we didn't see a Retina iMac during the last big Apple event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back