Contribute
Register

Restore Yosemite Disk Utility on El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for posting the download but when I open Disk Utility, verify and repair disc permissions buttons are greyed out. Not sure how to proceed.

Same here to, any update on this ?

Thanks for the post, it really helped in ElCapitan.
Could you please try it for macOS Sierra. Just now installed the beta version and tried this Disk Utility
and am getting the following error
"
Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x4] Symbol missing

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: _kDMMediaTypeCDROM
Referenced from: /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility Yosemite.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/DUSupport.framework/Versions/A/DUSupport
Expected in: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/DiskManagement
in /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility Yosemite.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/DUSupport.framework/Versions/A/DUSupport
"

I'm curious as well. I read this:

"If you want to use OS X Yosemite Disk Utility in macOS Sierra, you need to replace/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/DiskManagement with the one in El Capitan, then you can open the older Disk Utility again, which you can obtain from a machine running Yosemite, or a Time Machine backup from Yosemite."

I've not tried it, though.

I'm curious as well. I read this:

"If you want to use OS X Yosemite Disk Utility in macOS Sierra, you need to replace/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/DiskManagement with the one in El Capitan, then you can open the older Disk Utility again, which you can obtain from a machine running Yosemite, or a Time Machine backup from Yosemite."

I've not tried it, though.

This method does in fact work. However, it renders the native Sierra Disk Utility useless - just sits "loading disks." I've been looking into it for the past week - it MIGHT be possible to point the Yosemite Disk Utility to a different place in the System rather than having to REPLACE the Framework files. However, this is most likely a task for someone more knowledgable than I am about programming.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 8.32.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 8.32.41 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 422
I don't see reason(s) to use previous version of Disk Utility in macOS Sierra again because the 'Restore' functionality is now available in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back