Contribute
Register

Restore Yosemite Disk Utility on El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone will no doubt tell me why this won't work so I am trepidatious about saying this...

I just picked my old Yosemite UniBeast stick, mounted BaseSystem.dmg, copied the Disk Util app from the Utilities folder to my machine's downloads folder.

Once there I edited 85 to 84 then tried the sudo chown Terminal command in the original post (modified for the new destination) but it told me No such File or Directory...

Anyway, running the new (old) app "seems" to work.

Sure I've missed something and someone will correct me (Thanks in advance!)

:)

Once there I edited 85 to 84 then tried the sudo chown Terminal command in the original post (modified for the new destination) but it told me No such File or Directory...

This is usually caused by the working directory not being the same directory as the download. Use the cd command to change the working directory to the location that you downloaded your file.
For me it was:
Code:
cd ~/Downloads

Well i read all these posts, then decided what the heck. I am running latest El-capitan and I copied it direct to utilities and it worked. It will not run from menu bar launch bar, but open applications/utilities and double click it, easy. :thumbup:

This is usually caused by the working directory not being the same directory as the download. Use the cd command to change the working directory to the location that you downloaded your file.
For me it was:
Code:
cd ~/Downloads

Thanks Bob_t_T, you are right. I was trying to run the command on -

/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/me/Applications

etc, where it should be -

/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications

Thanks for the pointer :thumbup:

Thank you for posting the download but when I open Disk Utility, verify and repair disc permissions buttons are greyed out. Not sure how to proceed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post....will try it today....I hate the new Disk Utility very much....this could be a life saver.

Thank you very much......it's working.....one great annoyance of El Capitan is finally got an workaround.

Anyway I am attaching the modified Disk Utility from Yosemite 10.10.5 for those who are having trouble to do it by their self, just download it, extract it with some 7zip extractor(I've used Keka), copy it to Applications folder or somewhere else.

Thank you for the attachment but verify and repair permissions buttons are greyed out when I try to use Disk Utility. Not sure how to proceed.

Thank you for the attachment but verify and repair permissions buttons are greyed out when I try to use Disk Utility. Not sure how to proceed.

Same here. Any way to get that fixed?

i download the file , put in application
launch and nothing :(

i don t undestand the process

can you explain to me please

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back