i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

The title speaks for itself. And more generally, the question is : how to restore higher OS X backup version.

Just after my downgrade following this thread, I wanted to restore TimeMachine backup during the installation process but it poped a windows saying "You must install Mojave to restore using this backup

Is there a way to do this restore in the same way you can do on iOS ?

Kisses,
Chap

Up please, My installation is standing by
Go to your Time Machine Backup Disk in Finder. You'll see folder Backups.backupdb and in this should be iMac (or similar) folder. Expand that folder, you will see the backup folders in date order. Delete folder "Latest" and any other folders that are Mojave backups. This will leave you just the High Sierra backups. Profit.

Thank you for your reply Humanate.

But it isn't a solution at all. I upgraded to Mojave, created some files and set configurations... Plus I did not have any HS backup since I update from Sierra to Mojave.
I searched the web and there is no solution for that problem other than copying manually.

I am going to run a smart rsync through le directory latest to archive the last backup I have.

Thank you for your reply Humanate.

But it isn't a solution at all. I upgraded to Mojave, created some files and set configurations... Plus I did not have any HS backup since I update from Sierra to Mojave.
I searched the web and there is no solution for that problem other than copying manually.

I am going to run a smart rsync through le directory latest to archive the last backup I have.
If you don’t have a HS backup then you can’t use Mojave backup as you say. I don’t know a solution for that, think bite the bullet and do clean install.....

So you are telling me that if I had even one HS backup and then Mojave backups I could have restored using Mojave backups?

I did a fresh install btw
No. My fix is for when you have upgraded from HS to Mojave and you have HS backups followed by Mojave backups in Time Machine. In that situation, if you reinstall HS and try to use time machine, it won’t let you use Time Machine backup if the latest backup was done in Mojave. In that situation, my fix would work.

If you only have a backup created by Mojave, you can’t use in HS, only backup created from HS can be used in HS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back