Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I have make a fresh installation of El Capitan and I try to restore my applications, files, Itunes music with time machine.

If I do that directly with the Apple utility, I've a crash at reboot. I try to restore at the parameter screen just after the first step of installation (screen who Mac wants to know iCloud id, localization etc...). But i think it's the same problem...

How I can do that ?

Thanks !

I think you should not do that in the start up.
First make your El Capitan work properly and then use the migrate assistant (in Applications/Utilities) to copy.

I think you want to restore only your user accounts and applications, not any of the other options (system data, etc.).

It would be a good idea to do the El Capitan install and post-install and make sure everything is booting and running smoothly first, and then use /Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant to transfer the user and apps.

I tried that, migrate. Doesn't work.
First I migrated all the files and settings from Yosemite to El Capitan but there was no way I could get El Capitan start up.
So I made a new copy and this time I only migrated the Applications folder.
Wouldn't start up either, with or without USB clover.
So I think this work around is not an option.

Yeah, you don't want to migrate everything. The system configuration bits will mess it up. When I migrated only user account and applications it worked fine.

After you migrated only applications, what kind of startup problem did you get?

"Funny" but i've got a similar problem. After a clean install I try to migrate my files from my time machine and I lost Clover + QE/CI for my HD4850. I reinstall clover (not a big deal) but I never got back the HD4850 :( Exotic Patch was there but no hardware acc nor dual screen.

After migrating Applications only it kept on restarting. Then I read the articles on top of this forum, "Explaining security changes and workarounds" and I understand that El Capitan is a totaly different game. A bit naive to think you can get away with just migrating.
I have a good working El Capitan now and will leave that on one disk and I'm gonna try the other workarounds mentioned in this forum on another disk to try an upgrade on Yosemite to El Capitan.

"Funny" but i've got a similar problem. After a clean install I try to migrate my files from my time machine and I lost Clover + QE/CI for my HD4850. I reinstall clover (not a big deal) but I never got back the HD4850 :( Exotic Patch was there but no hardware acc nor dual screen.

On my H87N-WIFI with GT 740 I was able to install El Capitan clean and run Migration Assistant to transfer user account and applications from the Time Machine backup (from Yosemite). I didn't see these problems with the Clover config getting messed up. I didn't have any special graphics drivers to confuse.

Worst case, I'd try installing and configuring everything on the new install and confirming a couple reboots without the USB installer don't break anything. Then running Migration Assistant and migrating user account only (I don't see how that could screw up Clover) and then once you confirm it's still still working, either rerunning migration assistant for apps only or re-installing apps/restoring them manually.

Thanks! I followed these steps.
Unchecked everything in Migrate and right after that I did the Post Install again, Clover EFI and Custo Mac Essentials.
I think that's the trick: don't restart after migrating but do the Post Install again.
So I managed to migrate the applications in this way. Unfortunately why I started this update was about Logic Pro.
And that's the only program that didn't migrate. Must be Murphy's law.
And then I forgot the Post Install again so i'm back where I was. Ha ha!
I don't mind, I'll start over again.

Thanks! I followed these steps.
Unchecked everything in Migrate and right after that I did the Post Install again, Clover EFI and Custo Mac Essentials.
I think that's the trick: don't restart after migrating but do the Post Install again.
So I managed to migrate the applications in this way. Unfortunately why I started this update was about Logic Pro.
And that's the only program that didn't migrate. Must be Murphy's law.
And then I forgot the Post Install again so i'm back where I was. Ha ha!
I don't mind, I'll start over again.

Hello Wiet !

Have you test a new migration with the "double post install" before and after the time machine migration ?

if it's ok, I'll try tonight.

thx !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back