Graphics
Intel HD 3000 on 1920x1080 17" screen
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Ok following problem: Crappy Win10 updated itself and has overwritten my bootloader, i.e. Clover is gone.
Is there any easy way to restore it without having to create a new Clover USB Stick?
- Using e.g. EasyBCD within Windows? (I think not possible because of EFI partition?)
- Somehow install Clover using Windows? Put in on a USB Stick?

Has anybody tried something like this?

Ok following problem: Crappy Win10 updated itself and has overwritten my bootloader, i.e. Clover is gone.
Is there any easy way to restore it without having to create a new Clover USB Stick?
- Using e.g. EasyBCD within Windows? (I think not possible because of EFI partition?)
- Somehow install Clover using Windows? Put in on a USB Stick?

Has anybody tried something like this?

Read post #2 of the guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Thank you, RehabMan!

For other readers: You can mount your EFI partition using diskpart. Then rename EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi. I had to use the little open source program Explorer++ https://explorerplusplus.com/. The file explorer of Windows wouldn't let me even read files on the EFI partition.

Generally you do the rename in OS X/macOS. Simply boot using Esc+F9 to CLOVERX64.efi, then mount your EFI in OS X/macOS, then do the rename.

Generally you do the rename in OS X/macOS. Simply boot using Esc+F9 to CLOVERX64.efi, then mount your EFI in OS X/macOS, then do the rename.
Ah, I see. Didn't know that you can boot into OS X that way. Thanks for clarifying!

Ah, I see. Didn't know that you can boot into OS X that way.

Think about it for a second... you did it just that way when you installed from USB!

Here is my contrib to the community.

Attached is a batch script file to help in this issue.

Just run the bat file as administrator, type an avaiable drive letter with the ":" chacarcter when prompted and you are done.

For example: H:

Since I couldn´t upload the file with the .bat extension, you´ll have to rename it yourselves.

The bat script worked for me using Windows 10 with administrator privileges.

Thanks to all...

Attachments

• Recover Clover Boot Manager - EFI.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 1,195
Here is my contrib to the community.

Attached is a batch script file to help in this issue.

Just run the bat file as administrator, type an avaiable drive letter with the ":" chacarcter when prompted and you are done.

For example: H:

Since I couldn´t upload the file with the .bat extension, you´ll have to rename it yourselves.

The bat script worked for me using Windows 10 with administrator privileges.

Thanks to all...

In order for you to boot Windows from Clover, bootmgfw.efi must be named bootmgfw.efi or bootmgfw-orig.efi. bootmgfw.efi-old will not work.

You can avoid the whole "available drive letter" thing by mounting to a directory instead.

See mountvol documentation:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/mountvol

And computers such as yours (based on your profile data) should just set CLOVERX64.EFI as a priority UEFI boot target using efibootmgr in Linux. Then you don't need the rename of bootmgfw.efi.

Read post #2 here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

well, what can I say?

It is working...

If you think that it won´t help, please delete my answer, because I tried , and couldn´t do it.

Sorry, I was just trying to help.

well, what can I say?

It is working...

If you think that it won´t help, please delete my answer, because I tried , and couldn´t do it.

Sorry, I was just trying to help.

I realize it works (except Clover will not recognize Windows boot target due to wrong name of bootmgfw).
If you're still able to boot Windows from Clover, it is likely you have a (previously) existing bootmgfw-orig.efi, which Clover is recognizing.

I just offered improvements/simplifications.
Note: If you package your .bat (could be .cmd too) in a .zip, there is less confusion (eg. no need to rename to .bat or .cmd).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back