Contribute
Register

"Restarting" in OS X doesn't give up WiFi adapter for dual-boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac
CPU
Intel Xeon E3-1240 Haswell
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 650
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey everyone - this might be a better place to post it other than general help (if someone could remove that one?). This is my first hack and I've seemingly run into a problem that I can't find documented anywhere. There hasn't really been a full write up about the ASRock Z97E-iTX/ac mobo and I was thinking of putting together an incredibly mediocre guide of my build experience using it (it's a pretty wonderful and straightforward mobo if you know what you're doing... I don't really, but there's only been minimal issue with compatibility). However I'd really like to fix this problem before I put it together.

When I restart from OS X and boot Windows EFI in Clover on the ensuing boot-up, there are no available networks to connect to.

Booted from Shut down:

RT11Qr8l.png

GsEBbzb.png

Booted from Restart:

IRvk1AVl.png

I dual-boot Windows 7 and OS X 10.9.4 off a single HDD (ran out of money for an SSD... its on my christmas / black friday sale list) using Clover - no SSDT or DSDT necessary, just kext patch injections. The issue can be replicated as follows:

1. turn computer on, boot OS X from Clover boot loader.
  2. Apple button, "Restart". *
  3. boot Windows 7 from Clover boot loader.
  4. the Wi Fi adapter will not locate any networks to connect to. <-- the issue **

* Had I instead "Shut Down", and re-powered on the computer instead of "Restarting" - this issue would not be present.
** This does not stop the use of the Ethernet port.

This is not a hardware or driver issue. Windows 7 successfully detects, connects, and communicates on WiFi networks when booted after turning the computer on whether it was "Shut Down" from OS X or Windows. I'm led to believe that the issue lies in the way OS X "Restarts", it isn't a complete reset, and so it does not relinquish control of the onboard Wi Fi adapter - so Windows can't access it. That, or the router isn't leasing a new IP to the same adapter it still thinks is plugged into the network.

build hardware:

• Mobo: ASRock Z97E-iTX/ac
  • CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 (Haswell)
  • Video card: EVGA GTX 650
  • RAM: Kingston Basilisk 8GBx1
  • HDD: Western Digital 1TB green (3 partitions - OS X, Win7, shared media)

My networking skills aren't necessarily up to snuff, can someone help me troubleshoot this and fix it please?

Hello there,

I know this is an old post, but I'm looking at building a hackintosh using this motherboard too. I found an interesting post from Girl Introverted who detailed a similar problem here.
Basically, it may have to do with the advanced settings for your ethernet, try disabling the
  • Wake on Magic Packet from Power Off State
All the info is in the link.

Hope that helps, any more info you'd care to share about the board will be lapped up by me.

Haha it is indeed an old problem but it's one that has not been resolved and I thank you for your input. Unfortunately I tried that and it still persists. It's not a matter of waking up the WiFi adapter on the windows end, but making the OS X kernel release control of it when "Restart"-ing through the system. I decided that it wasn't worth the effort and Shutdown -> power button is fine for my purposes (I only game with it occasionally so windows is not really a top priority lol, especially if it works perfectly fine with an extra button involved)

You are in luck however as I've done some thorough, albeit mediocre, documenting of my experience with this MoBo! It really is a phenomenal hackintosh board (in my limited experience) and once I got it up and running I have experienced 0 difficulties , could not recommend it enough. I was planning on releasing a "guide" about it - however I built the computer then Mavericks came out and I never got around to upgrading to that, so this became a second priority to using the computer. I don't feel it is worthy of being fully uploaded to the net because of such, but if you have a ****** or email I would be more than happy to pm you directly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back