Contribute
Register

Restart while rendering Adobe (premiere/after effects/ media encoder)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370P D3
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 780
running High Sierra 10.13.6
i7-8700K
Geforce 1070
32GB DDR4 Ram (2x16GB RipJaw Cards)
Gigabyte Auros Z370 Gaming Wifi Mobo

ujq93g9

view

Yze7GQK

Using the 387.10.10.10.40.105 Web Drivers for (17G65) build and CUDA 410.130
SMBIOS is iMac14,2 since I heard it was stable-ish (though I had it on iMac18,3 with the same issue)

I made sure NvidiaWeb is true in system parameters, I
've heard conflicting stuff on nvda_drv=1. It's on right now but it doesn't seem to make a difference either way.
Internal Graphics are disabled in BIOS along with the usual string:

VT-d disabled
Intel PTT disabled
XHCI hand off enabled
Sata set to AHCI
Wake on Lan Disabled
Network Stack Disabled
primary is PCIE 1

I also made sure nothing was over clocked.
I underclocked my RAM from 2133 (auto) to (1833) and optimized for stability.

So the issue is whenever I try to render something out of anything adobe (also davinci resolve) it might make it a few seconds in, it might run for 15 minutes without any troubles when it'll suddenly restart. That's the only thing that makes the system restart though, everything else seems stable. Just rendering literally anything!

I suspect its dependent on the complexity or RAM-load of the project because I exported a test AE project that was 3 layers with some procedural "wiggle(1,25);" that was 20min long no problem. But my super complex 2min video export causes the system to restart between 1 and 3min in.

I've heard 1070 isn't compatible with adobe, but I have metal, OpenCL and CUDA acceleration options (in addition to hardware only) so that doesn't seem to be an issue.

----

Anyways guys, what can I give you to help me figure this out?
Can I get a -verbose or log on the restart somehow?
EDIT: also just disabled XMP since I was pushing for stability over performance. But I might reinstate it since that's a standard part of the basic install requirements. Render crash seems to be the same with or without it.

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
MGhscmL
view
The images attached, showing the graphics card settings in the system.
Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 4.59.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 4.58.11 PM.png

Did you ever resolve this? I get all sorts of weird behavior with Premiere

Did you ever resolve this? I get all sorts of weird behavior with Premiere
I mostly resolved it. Everything is rendering through Cuda acceleration now. I ran the security update and got high Sierra to 17G5019. I reset my bios to optimized defaults and followed the ****** vanilla guide for settings. Now it crashes maybe twice a week and I'm doing roughly a dozen renders every day so it's close to good now. I have the most up to date Nvidia web drivers as well

Mine doesn't crash per se, but the playback window will regularly freeze up with no response when I hit space or play. The play button actually remains clickable, but it doesn't switch over to a stop button and it doesn't playback. When this happens I have to Force Quit the app, and the process isn't killed properly so I can't reopen or shut down (have to hard reboot). CUDA does work when it's working generally. I also had an issue where all of the clips suddenly became unlinked in the project and when I try to locate media it's really slow. I think I'm having some sort of general IO issue on top of Adobe weirdness. I'll revert to optimized defaults and see what happens.

Damn, I'm getting random reboots while rendering video with Adobe Media Encoder. I also have a GTX1070, but AFAIK GPU doesn't do any real work, when encoding in h264.

The temps are usually below 60degC, which is nowhere near CPU limit. Very weird.

Update: Wrong CPU Type + Undervolting is probably the cause in my case.

Attaching my report files, just in case.

Attachments

• 15R3 Debug 13nov.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back