Contribute
Register

restart failure - Boot Device Not Found - Hackintosh HP Probook 4530s

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's true, bootloader not required on the EFI... and also true that it is enough simple to set the EFI partition to active to recover...
I do have one question to ask though...

On my ProBook I have both Mavericks and Win 8.1 and I suspect windows bootloader (bcd Boot) is on that (EFI) partition. I have managed to recover from the "Boot Device Not Found" and booted successfully to OS X. However, now when selecting Win from Chimera boot options, Windows fail with "File: \Boot\BCD... Boot Configuration missing or contains errors". I'm working on recreating a bootable BCD in the EFI manually as the original Window CD repair option did not work... Am I on the right track here?

Thanks

It's true, bootloader not required on the EFI... and also true that it is enough simple to set the EFI partition to active to recover...

Actually, EFI partition should not be active (unless bootloader is installed there). It should either be the OS X partition or Windows partition, depending on conditions already mentioned.

I do have one question to ask though...

On my ProBook I have both Mavericks and Win 8.1 and I suspect windows bootloader (bcd Boot) is on that (EFI) partition. I have managed to recover from the "Boot Device Not Found" and booted successfully to OS X. However, now when selecting Win from Chimera boot options, Windows fail with "File: \Boot\BCD... Boot Configuration missing or contains errors". I'm working on recreating a bootable BCD in the EFI manually as the original Window CD repair option did not work... Am I on the right track here?

Where the Windows bootloader resides depends on how you installed Windows. In the case of UEFI install, the files are on the EFI partition. In the case of a legacy install, files are in \BOOT on either the System Reserved partition or the main Windows partition.

Chimera cannot boot a Windows UEFI install, but Clover can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back