Contribute
Register

[Resolved] 10.8.3 + UniBeast 1.7.0 = Too Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomR

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Performa
  3. Power Mac
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hardware components: my Recording Studio 2.0 build (Core i7 3770K | GA-Z77X-UP5 TH | 16GB | HD4000).

Just for yuks & giggles, I updated my ML installer just now to 10.8.3, built a new UniBeast key, unplugged my good/working boot SSD (plus my other drives) and popped in my spare SSD....just because I had nothing better to do on a Friday night after a stressful week. :banghead:

Things seemed to go smoothly with the 1st half of the install - but when I did my reboot after initial install was complete, it hung at the gray Apple logo/spinning progress indicator. I was never able to get to setup wizard, then run MultiBeast.

So after a quick reboot, plus using GraphicsEnabler=no and -v flags, I see this:
DSC00077.jpg

Interesting that it appears to choke on AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement...but the real head-scratcher is this:
getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x3a

I'm wondering of UniBeast needs to be tweaked to account for some under-the-hood changes/differences in 10.8.3 vs. 10.8.2? Or maybe there is some sort of hardware conflict caused by all my PCIe cards. Maybe I would have had better success had I taken out my Syba and Belkin FW cards, plus also removed my AVID Pro Tools|HD Native card, but what the heck.

Normally when I do a new build, the initial install will have zero add-on cards...until I get things up & running, and the system is stable. Then I add things back in 1 by 1.

OK, all you good folks - whaddaya think?

10.8.3 + UniBeast 1.7.0 = Too Soon?

WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x3a
-- power management may be incomplete or unsupported

This was seen in 10.8.2 and is just a warning that not all power management features my be enabled.

I have been having the same issue on a Z77 Extreme 4. Able to get in if I safe boot -F -x. Ran multibeast and still can't normal boot in. Reading other posts to see what other people are saying and haven't found anything useful yet. I am using the older appleacpiplatform kext that other people have recommended but no dice. I don't think it is a unibeast issue, I think it is some sort of hardware - OS X oddity. I got the same thing updating 10.8.2 to 10.8.3.

Hey Boom R, Ive read your post for building my machine, have the UP5 TH and 3570k, updated to 10.8.3 no problems so far,(just audio but have a external card) I think you should reinstall multibeast, it will fix it, but you will have to install it from another computer.

BTW should have a backup drive so you can copy all your data before modifying the system I have one old 80 gb drive, carbon copy cloner, and if not works I just restore to working state with no hassle.(No pluggins and DAWs or soft reinstall!)

Good luck

I just tried the samething, everything went smoothly. Used UniBeast 1.7.0 with 10.8.3. Installed, rebooted, ran MultiBeast 5.2.1. Choose MacPro5,1 SMBIOS, rebooted. As it was booting up, I remembered that I forgot to delete AppleTyMCEDriver.kext, but it still booted up fine. :).

Hey Boom R, Ive read your post for building my machine, have the UP5 TH and 3570k, updated to 10.8.3 no problems so far,(just audio but have a external card) I think you should reinstall multibeast, it will fix it, but you will have to install it from another computer.

BTW should have a backup drive so you can copy all your data before modifying the system I have one old 80 gb drive, carbon copy cloner, and if not works I just restore to working state with no hassle.(No pluggins and DAWs or soft reinstall!)

Good luck

i know you're trying to be helpful, but it looks like you're new around here. No offense, but did you not read & understand when I wrote the following?

"Just for yuks & giggles, I updated my ML installer just now to 10.8.3, built a new UniBeast key, unplugged my good/working boot SSD (plus my other drives) and popped in my spare SSD....just because I had nothing better to do on a Friday night after a stressful week.
Things seemed to go smoothly with the 1st half of the install - but when I did my reboot after initial install was complete, it hung at the gray Apple logo/spinning progress indicator. I was never able to get to setup wizard, then run MultiBeast."

Im not updating my existing build from 10.8.2 > 10.8.3. I used the App Store & updated my ML purchased OS installer to 10.8.3, then rebuilt my UniBeast key. I removed my good/working 10.8.2 boot SSD, and installed a spare unformatted SSD and tried to do a clean install of 10.8.3. And before I could get to the point where I could install MultiBeast, my system would hang....reporting that my CPU is unrecognized.

Tomorrow, I may try to rebuild UB key, then remove all cards & try again. Just found it odd to get the msg that my CPU is unrecognized & thought someone might have better insight as to the problem.

I just tried the samething, everything went smoothly. Used UniBeast 1.7.0 with 10.8.3. Installed, rebooted, ran MultiBeast 5.2.1. Choose MacPro5,1 SMBIOS, rebooted. As it was booting up, I remembered that I forgot to delete AppleTyMCEDriver.kext, but it still booted up fine. :).

Thanks for that feedback--I'm more encouraged now. :thumbup:

This was seen in 10.8.2 and is just a warning that not all power management features my be enabled.

Thanks sir-I wasn't quite as concerned about that message as I was about CPU not being recognized. Will give it a better shot tomorrow! :) THANKS!!!

Hardware components: my Recording Studio 2.0 build (Core i7 3770K | GA-Z77X-UP5 TH | 16GB | HD4000).

Just for yuks & giggles, I updated my ML installer just now to 10.8.3, built a new UniBeast key, unplugged my good/working boot SSD (plus my other drives) and popped in my spare SSD....just because I had nothing better to do on a Friday night after a stressful week. :banghead:

Things seemed to go smoothly with the 1st half of the install - but when I did my reboot after initial install was complete, it hung at the gray Apple logo/spinning progress indicator. I was never able to get to setup wizard, then run MultiBeast.

So after a quick reboot, plus using GraphicsEnabler=no and -v flags, I see this:
View attachment 49596

Interesting that it appears to choke on AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement...but the real head-scratcher is this:
getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x3a

I'm wondering of UniBeast needs to be tweaked to account for some under-the-hood changes/differences in 10.8.3 vs. 10.8.2? Or maybe there is some sort of hardware conflict caused by all my PCIe cards. Maybe I would have had better success had I taken out my Syba and Belkin FW cards, plus also removed my AVID Pro Tools|HD Native card, but what the heck.

Normally when I do a new build, the initial install will have zero add-on cards...until I get things up & running, and the system is stable. Then I add things back in 1 by 1.

OK, all you good folks - whaddaya think?

I had the same problem with an Gigabyte Z77X-D3H board with an 3570K w/ HD4000. What it actually freezes on is the graphics component. You'll need to remove the HD4000 kexts by using the installation media, mounting your OS drive and deleting the kext files from the Terminal. Sadly, I don't exactly remember how I did it, but if you're experienced, I'm sure you can do it yourself :)

I'm currently using 10.8.3. The only problems I have is that VoodooHDA doesn't seem to work anymore with my audio chip, thus I'm just using my M-Audio USB interface.

Good luck!

I can confirm this works. Even with my Nvidia card installed, removing the HD4000 kexts fixed it. I'm sure its the same problem.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back