Contribute
Register

Resize Partitions Hackintosh (Dual boot OSX - Win 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
LENOVO Y50-70
CPU
i7 4710HQ
Graphics
HD4600 + GT 860M (1920x1080)
I'm looking for resize my hackintosh's partitions.
I have a HDD with 700GB OSX (el capitan) and 300GB Windows 10
I need a smaller OSX partition, so i used disk utility (OSX usb installer) for shrink OSX about 150GB
So,Disk utility make a OSX Extended partition of 150GB
Windows didn't show its as free space, so, in Win Usb installer(uefi) , i deleted it (150GB). Later, i grow the win 10 partition using easeus partition master.
Win works fine, but OSX doesnt works.
Prohibited sign is shown. Also OSX recovery and OSX installer now don't start!

The win installer has corrupted GPT partition in mbr/gpt hybrid? (Win show me gpt)
Now, Disk management tools show me a new partition of few Mb (not definied).
Maybe OSX bootloader can't boot OSX because this partition changed the partitions list addresses?
Verbose mode say me, as end string "waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass... "

What can i do? I use OSX for job

Hope you have a bootable backup for your Mac OS.
Boot the backup, use Mac Disk Utility to reformat the Mac OS partition, clone the backup to reformatted partition. Re-install Clover to original Mac/Windows drive.

Hope you have a bootable backup for your Mac OS.
Boot the backup, use Mac Disk Utility to reformat the Mac OS partition, clone the backup to reformatted partition. Re-install Clover to original Mac/Windows drive.
I only have the backup of some important files. There isn't some trick to try for restore the access without data loss? The system and data is still there, only i can't access it... :/

Do you have the install boot stick or an emergency backup boot stick you can try to use to boot the Mac OS?

Do you have the install boot stick or an emergency backup boot stick you can try to use to boot the Mac OS?
I have the install OSX USB (the installer).
What do you think? I can repair it without data loss?

Last edited:
PS: now i can start disk utility from installer, if it's a helper

PS: now i can start disk utility from installer, if it's a helper

Hi there.

If I understand correctly you can now boot from your USB Installer USB?

If so you will need to mount the EFI partition of your main drive. To do this you would use Terminal.

Once you have the EFI partition mounted a drive on your desktop you will discover that Microsoft has made some alterations to it when you re-installed Windows 10 in the larger, main partition. Usually this is what prevents a macOS install from booting.

Something to try:

Keep that USB Installer boot stick safe and do not modify it. It will rescue you if anything goes wrong.

With the main drive EFI partition mounted copy the entire EFI folder in there to somewhere safe as a backup.

Now you have two options -

1) Remove the Microsoft folder and any extra boot files that do not belong in the CLOVER/OC EFI folder tree.

or

2) Mount the EFI partition of your USB Installer USB stick and copy the EFI folder from there into your main drive's EFI partition.

Hopefully that should enable macOS to boot on its own again. If you chose to replace the EFI you will then need to copy back any settings you had in place before.

:)

Last edited:
Hi there.

If I understand correctly you can now boot from your USB Installer USB?

If so you will need to mount the EFI partition of your main drive. To do this you would use Terminal.

Once you have the EFI partition mounted a drive on your desktop you will discover that Microsoft has made some alterations to it when you re-installed Windows 10 in the larger, main partition. Usually this is what prevents a macOS install from booting.

Something to try:

Keep that USB Installer boot stick safe and do not modify it. It will rescue you if anything goes wrong.

With the main drive EFI partition mounted copy the entire EFI folder in there to somewhere safe as a backup.

Now you have two options -

1) Remove the Microsoft folder and any extra boot files that do not belong in the CLOVER/OC EFI folder tree.

or

2) Mount the EFI partition of your USB Installer USB stick and copy the EFI folder from there into your main drive's EFI partition.

Hopefully that should enable macOS to boot on its own again. If you chose to replace the EFI you will then need to copy back any settings you had in place before.

:)
This may work, but be careful not to delete the Microsoft folder in the EFI partition - you need it to boot Windows, so copy it to desktop or somewhere before doing the above procedure and then copy it back to the EFI folder.

This may work, but be careful not to delete the Microsoft folder in the EFI partition - you need it to boot Windows, so copy it to desktop or somewhere before doing the above procedure and then copy it back to the EFI folder.

Agreed. My bad with point number one. Too severe - just rescuing macOS. To boot Windows again, better to follow your dual-boot guides which are at the top of this thread. :thumbup:

Diskpart, before the resize, didn't show me the OSX partition. Now, Diskpart show me as RAW Fs.
Can this help you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back