Contribute
Register

Request for guide / mod for FT & Photo Booth working on Probook

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys know you can pick up a probook webcam board for less than 15 bucks?
I'm just going to try my luck at a few of those until I find one that works.

Check the pinout, you might not like a fried mic input on the motherboard. In the worst case the direct usb to the cam can be replaced with a hub that is inserted between controller and one of the usb ports and gives one line to the new camera.

Also, when buying, try to find out if that cam has a digital microphone, or you won't have that function.

dg

Check the pinout, you might not like a fried mic input on the motherboard. In the worst case the direct usb to the cam can be replaced with a hub that is inserted between controller and one of the usb ports and gives one line to the new camera.

Also, when buying, try to find out if that cam has a digital microphone, or you won't have that function.

dg

I believe you misunderstand me. I'm talking about the direct HP replacement. The pinout will match because it's the same board, same connector, same everything except for one very important piece, different production runs had different chips. That's were the compatibility issues are.

If someone with a 100% perfectly functioning probook webcam were to take it apart and tell us the chip numbers on the back, we could order that specific run of probook webcams.

I believe you misunderstand me. I'm talking about the direct HP replacement. The pinout will match because it's the same board, same connector, same everything except for one very important piece, different production runs had different chips. That's were the compatibility issues are.

If someone with a 100% perfectly functioning probook webcam were to take it apart and tell us the chip numbers on the back, we could order that specific run of probook webcams.

I see. Yeah, that would be a good path. Provided there *are* working original webcams from these probooks, that is. Hope for the best.

I accidentally discovered that if you get the free app called camwiz from the App Store and start it after you open photobooth or facetime, the crazy pixelation goes away.

Step by step:
  1. get camwiz from app store
  2. start facetime or Photo Booth (crazy pixilation and flickering)
  3. start camwiz app = no more flickering and pixilation.
  4. quit camwiz

I was thinking one could setup an automator script to do what i wrote above...
I dont use facetime or Photo Booth, so its no biggie for me but for anyone else that is interested.

I dont know why it works but it works. Hope this helps.

I can confirm noreye's observations - Camwiz app improves the quality of my sunplus camera in a great manner. It basically makes the video look crisp, just like on Skype or Google Hangouts.

My webcam works very good. The only thing is I have a lot of noise grain but it doesn't really affect image quality if I have good lighting. Bad lighting can ruin even a manageable webcam session. Lighting is key.

The discrepancy is in version of the web cam: 4540s has version: 57.70 and 4440s has version: 57.51.

As a result, WebCam is working in Apple Apps on 4540s without any interventions, on 4540s it requires 3rd party app to "wake" it up for Apple Apps. Finally, both actually need 3rd party app either to address poor video quality (4540s and others) or "wake" on 4440s. Any 3rd party webcam app is sufficient.

FT and Photoboot issue still remain on 10.9 ( upgraded from 10.8.5 ) on hp probook 4530s.
Skype camera work very fine

Camwiz workaround works even in 10.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back