Contribute
Register

Report your NVIDIA Web Driver and CUDA issues and I'll pass them on to the developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have "the lag", there's nothing you have to do. It will be immediately apparent the second you try to do anything in Finder. Simple things like maximizing a window to full screen will lag.

Odds are you will not see this since you are on an i7-920. As I've stated many times, this issue seems to primarily only affect Skylake and newer systems.

Aha, I see.

I don't have that i7 920 based computer anymore. I have removed it from my profile.

I currently have only a ”real” Mac Pro (Mid 2010) with a GTX 970 and a Mac Book Pro (Late 2013) with GeForce GT 750M. So not currently able to reproduce any issues if they are Pascal only and/or related to newer CPUs than that. I also wonder if there's any point in trying to report issues that can't be reproduced on a ”real” Mac. Of course the majority of discrete GPUs sold being used with macOS is most certainly in Hacks currently…

Last edited:
This bug remains unfixed.

Cannot reproduce on GTX 970 with macOS 10.13.3 and Web Driver 387.10.10.10.25.156.
The space ship looks fine.

I guess I have to get a Pascal card… :confused:

There's numerous complaints on the official apple forum with nVidia GPUs (ie 2014 MacBook Pro).

The best way to reproduce it is to have an nVidia GPU and High Sierra.

It's EXTREMELY laggy when you have any Adobe app open especially multiple....and Chrome with hardware acceleration enabled.

The overall UI feels like a Windows 95 machine. I know this is totally an nVidia issue because when I take out the GPU and use the iGPU there is 0 lag and works perfect. But I need CUDA support. I'm gonna be forced to move to AMD if this isn't fixed.

Sierra 10.12.6 ran perfectly fine.

Here's one thread

My overall thoughts: I think it has to do with memory leaks with Metal 2.

On a fresh boot, everything works fine but as time goes on and we launch Photoshop etc which eats up GPU VRAM, it starts to lag really hard.

These slowdowns seems to be gone since macOS 10.13.3, right?

Edit:
Sorry for triple post…

Aha, I see.

I don't have that i7 920 based computer anymore. I have removed it from my profile.

I currently have only a ”real” Mac Pro (Mid 2010) with a GTX 970 and a Mac Book Pro (Late 2013) with GeForce GT 750M. So not currently able to reproduce any issues if they are Pascal only and/or related to newer CPUs than that. I also wonder if there's any point in trying to report issues that can't be reproduced on a ”real” Mac. Of course the majority of discrete GPUs sold being used with macOS is most certainly in Hacks currently…

Yeah, that's what concerns me... That this issue seems to affect only hacks mostly... Not sure if Nvidia will even bother addressing it for a niche market.

I'm just hoping that graphics card prices return somewhere close to normal so I can make the switch to AMD. I really don't expect these issues to be resolved.

Cannot reproduce on GTX 970 with macOS 10.13.3 and Web Driver 387.10.10.10.25.156.
The space ship looks fine.

I guess I have to get a Pascal card… :confused:

That's weird. I've tried with Pascal, Maxwell, and Kepler. All have the same issue. Unfortunately, I no longer have my Mac Pro to test on.

These slowdowns seems to be gone since macOS 10.13.3, right?

Edit:
Sorry for triple post…

Nope it's still there.

It has to do with nVidia drivers and what Apple has changed on their end in High Sierra in general.

10.13.4 public beta is out so it may fix this issue somehow over time and nVidia may (key word MAY) fix this now that eGPU is supported. They just want to sell cards but not sure they have the resources dedicated to fix this unless Apple steps in to help them in which case I don't see how Apple would even want to do that since they're not partners with nVidia on any front.

Well, my thread has not been approved yet, so see for yourself here:

video I

video II

video III

Just wanted to say I did some quick testing viewing the same video on YouTube that you have in your first link (DigitalFoundry) and on my Mac Pro (Mid 2010) with a GTX 970 I do see stuttering (@1080p60) some seconds into the video, but only if I use Firefox. If I use Safari (like you do in your screen capture) the video plays back smoothly. I have reported this to Nvidia (not that particular video, but another I was having freezing issues with in Firefox) so we'll see if those things you are seeing are related to that problem. Seems like it could be.

I have an ugly feeling Nvidia is not going to address this lag issue.

Last edited:
hi guys.
want to share some informations regarding Nvidia issue, testing it trough this link https://sketchfab.com/models/0d7152ebe0b544aebe51ffa1dad6bbf6

using MacBook Pro retina 2014 (Nvidia 750m), 10.13.3 with apple stock drivers and safari, I have display issue.
if I open the link provided with firefox, no issue.

using Hackintosh with 1080 ti, 10.13.3 and obviously Nvidia web driver ( .104 version), same situation.

using Hackintosh with 980ti, 10.12.6, same situation as well.

so temporary fix is firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back