Contribute
Register

[REPORT] issue with clover 4586 - MacOS 10.13.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have run into this "Bug", would it be easier to just throw my SSD into a enclosure, connect to another Mac/Hack, mount the efi with CC and copy the file i need from there, then throw the SSD back into the other PC and boot?

I ran into the same issue by not changing options in clover install. Normally all is ok but with this version clover seems to change one efi file and does not replace with new one. Like @Lundli mentioned, it's the AptioMemoryFix you have to choose. I forgot that and I couldn't boot from any of my USB sticks or anything else. Boot stops at End Randomseed++++.

Here's a solution how to fix it:

1. Press an arrow key when clover comes up so you stop counting down to boot mac os.
2. Choose Clover Shell and hit Enter.
3. Now you should see some FSX: drives (use PgUp/PgDown to view).
4. You can mount a drive with map FSX (where X is the number of the drive you want to mount)
5. Step by step mount the drives. You can go to a drive by typing e.g. FS0:
To change a directory use cd [dir]
List files with ls and use command help to show all commands.
6. One drive should be the EFI drive and one drive with your macos install. Clover does a backup before install (thanks god :)) in the root folder of your macos partition.
7. So go to the backup folder in CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\ and copy the file OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi to the same directory in your EFI drive with command cp src dst (src=path to OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi; dst=path to destination directory on EFI drive).
8. After that type exit.
9. YOU MUST REBOOT NOW!
10. Now all is fine and be careful at next clover install... like me :banghead:;)

Hope this helps someone...

Update
After that procedure and you install clover 4586 again (with AptioMemoryFix-64 enabled!) or next update check out your EFI drive. When you see AptioMemoryFix-64.efi just delete the old OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi
You should do that before reboot!

Update 2
When you install clover 4586 again (or later updates) you should also enable ApfsDriverLoader-64. After that delete apfs.efi in ..\drivers64UEFI folder on your EFI partition. Also check for new AptioInputFix-64 or others you enabled. After install You should always have a look at your efi folder before reboot and check for older versions.
This guide is only to fix boot and get back to mac os.
(Thanks to @MysticalOS and @remanifest for pointing this out)

Thank you so much for these tips. This helped me get my machine back from the dead!

Is there anywhere a clear and comprehensive guide to the correct way to upgrade Clover? If not, could the powers-that-be consider creating one? It's something everyone needs to do at some point, even those of us with minimal technical expertise. There are check boxes to consider, the whole customised install thing.... a step by step guide would be a godsend.

Man, you save my day. Thank you so much !!!
This happens in clover 4644 too

I ran into the same issue by not changing options in clover install. Normally all is ok but with this version clover seems to change one efi file and does not replace with new one. Like @Lundli mentioned, it's the AptioMemoryFix you have to choose. I forgot that and I couldn't boot from any of my USB sticks or anything else. Boot stops at End Randomseed++++.

Here's a solution how to fix it:

1. Press an arrow key when clover comes up so you stop counting down to boot mac os.
2. Choose Clover Shell and hit Enter.
3. Now you should see some FSX: drives (use PgUp/PgDown to view).
4. You can mount a drive with map FSX (where X is the number of the drive you want to mount)
5. Step by step mount the drives. You can go to a drive by typing e.g. FS0:
To change a directory use cd [dir]
List files with ls and use command help to show all commands.
6. One drive should be the EFI drive and one drive with your macos install. Clover does a backup before install (thanks god :)) in the root folder of your macos partition.
7. So go to the backup folder in CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\ and copy the file OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi to the same directory in your EFI drive with command cp src dst (src=path to OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi; dst=path to destination directory on EFI drive).
8. After that type exit.
9. YOU MUST REBOOT NOW!
10. Now all is fine and be careful at next clover install... like me :banghead:;)

Hope this helps someone...

Update
After that procedure and you install clover 4586 again (with AptioMemoryFix-64 enabled!) or next update check out your EFI drive. When you see AptioMemoryFix-64.efi just delete the old OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi
You should do that before reboot!

Update 2
When you install clover 4586 again (or later updates) you should also enable ApfsDriverLoader-64. After that delete apfs.efi in ..\drivers64UEFI folder on your EFI partition. Also check for new AptioInputFix-64 or others you enabled. After install You should always have a look at your efi folder before reboot and check for older versions.
This guide is only to fix boot and get back to mac os.
(Thanks to @MysticalOS and @remanifest for pointing this out)

You can't really do something wrong. Don't be scared ;).

First you have to mount the drive then goto it. Not vice versa.

Type these commands at clover shell:

1: map FS0
2: FS0:
3: ls

1) Maps or better mounts the first drive FS0
2) Goto drive FS0:
3) List diretory

At that moment you do nothing risky. Map the drives, goto drives, list folders and get a feeling for the commands. Then read my instructions again and I'm sure you get it. Feel free to ask again :!:

The clover shell is a bit a mix of Windows command line and bash. It's like going to C: ( FS0: ) drive in Windows command line and uses backslashes for directories. The command ls (list directories), cp (copy) and so on is from Linux/MacOs bash shell.

@ukulele01 please forgive my ignorance, but how do I do step 7 in your instructions "So go to the backup folder in CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\ and copy the file OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi to the same directory in your EFI drive with command cp src dst (src=path to OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi; dst=path to destination directory on EFI drive)."? I'm not familiar enough with this process to understand how to access the CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\ from Clover Shell. Thanks in advance.

@ukulele01 please forgive my ignorance, but how do I do step 7 in your instructions "So go to the backup folder in CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\ and copy the file OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi to the same directory in your EFI drive with command cp src dst (src=path to OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi; dst=path to destination directory on EFI drive)."? I'm not familiar enough with this process to understand how to access the CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\ from Clover Shell. Thanks in advance.

Nothing to "forgive" :). I never used clover shell before and my hackintosh build was some weeks ago. My last hack was about 15 years ago... so I'm far away being an expert for these clover-hackintosh-build-things ;).

Have you ever used a command line shell on Linux,Windows or Mac? You can compare these shells with the clovers build in shell.
You have to find and mount (=map in clover) two drives:
The first drive is your EFI drive with installed clover (e.g FS0).
The second one is your system drive with MacOS installed (e.g. FS1).

When you have found the system drive there's a folder "EFI-Backups".
E.g. your system drive with MacOS is FS1 the commands are:
Code:
map FS0
map FS1
FS1
cd EFI-Backups
ls
cd r<clover version before(!) 4586>
ls
cd <a timestamp directory> (e.g. 2018-08-12-22h11)
cd EFI
cd drivers64UEFI
cp OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi FS0:\EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI

You can always type ls to list directory contents. Feel free to ask again and also read the other posts.
Good luck ;)

@ukulele01 you saved my bacon! I was in a nightmare of black screens and failed boots, and your fix got me through the High Sierra install. You are the hero of the hour. Now however I'm not sure what I should do about a more permanent fix.

I used OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.EFI because I was leapfrogging from El Cap directly to HS. It worked! However, I'm now very confused by all the high-level expert discussions about the various versions of AptioMemoryFix. There are scary warnings about BIOS compatibility and all kinds of other jargon that goes right over my head. So I'm really not sure whether to just stick with Fix2 which is working for me, or whether I should dread some kind of NVRAM disaster if I stick with it; it seems like I should install the "most popular" AptioMemoryFix.efi but dunno if the dire warnings apply to me...

My mobo is an Asus Maximus GENE VIII. I have an NVIDIA GTX970. What should I do, stick twist or bust?

@ukulele01 you saved my bacon! I was in a nightmare of black screens and failed boots, and your fix got me through the High Sierra install. You are the hero of the hour. Now however I'm not sure what I should do about a more permanent fix.

I used OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.EFI because I was leapfrogging from El Cap directly to HS. It worked! However, I'm now very confused by all the high-level expert discussions about the various versions of AptioMemoryFix. There are scary warnings about BIOS compatibility and all kinds of other jargon that goes right over my head. So I'm really not sure whether to just stick with Fix2 which is working for me, or whether I should dread some kind of NVRAM disaster if I stick with it; it seems like I should install the "most popular" AptioMemoryFix.efi but dunno if the dire warnings apply to me...

My mobo is an Asus Maximus GENE VIII. I have an NVIDIA GTX970. What should I do, stick twist or bust?

You really should update to the new versions! Why? Because clover changed its driver names. When you next update clover you run into the same issue. Worse you have two drivers in your clover drivers64UEFI directory.
When you followed my post what can go wrong? You are able to handle problems now with clover itself...
When you are on MacOS start a terminal.
Code:
diskutil list

Now you should see a list of all partitions. Guess your EFI partition is on disk0s1.
Code:
sudo diskutil mount disk0s1

Now you should see the EFI partition in your finder. Check the EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI Directory.
You can also do a backup of whatever you want to backup.

Update Clover again and have a look at the drivers during install.
After update look again at EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI Directory. Delete the old OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.EFI and check that the new AptioMemoryFix-64.efi is present.

Now reboot and enjoy...

Note
I have no experience with NVIDIA cards and what could happen with their web drivers.

OK.... I mount my EFI partition with EFI Mounter... and then I run Clover Configurator (recent version) and I choose "Install/Update Clover" and it checks version numbers and tells me that my version is up to date! It does nothing else. No drivers get updated.

However I do see another page for installing individual drivers, with 2 columns of buttons; and here there is a button for AptioMemoryFix -- so I tried installing it. Got a success message. Googled a little further and saw that AptioInputFix was also recommended, so I selected that one also. Success.

So just "update Clover" did not do the trick for me, I had to select these drivers manually. Now about to try a reboot (yikes)... [time goes by] ... well, I still boot OK so all is well. Thanks ukulele01.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back