Contribute
Register

Replacing motherboard without reinstalling osx. Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
AMD RX570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
As my GA-Z77X-UD5H died I'm gonna replace it with a cheaper GA-Z77X-D3H (from the recommend build parts). All the other hardware will be staying the same.

Is this gonna cause my current install of OSX (which is on an SSD on 10.8) any issues or am I going to have to do a completely new install of OSX in order for it not to throw up loads of errors about the new motherboard?

As my GA-Z77X-UD5H died I'm gonna replace it with a cheaper GA-Z77X-D3H (from the recommend build parts). All the other hardware will be staying the same.

Is this gonna cause my current install of OSX (which is on an SSD on 10.8) any issues or am I going to have to do a completely new install of OSX in order for it not to throw up loads of errors about the new motherboard?

You should be able to replace your motherboard without having to reinstall OS X. The main factors you need to ask yourself are do I have a DSDT installed in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist, if so I need to remove it. If you can not get into this drive at present then you should be able to boot with DSDT=NULL. Thats only of course if you have one.

As for everything else. Check to see what ethernet and audio your new board has and if it differs from your older board, then you can delete those that are not needed. Locations are found in MultiBeast and the PDF document supplied. Then you can re enable them with the correct drivers.

Don't forget to make the necessary BIOS setting changes for your configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back