Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
2x Xeon 5450
Graphics
GT 210
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So I sussecfully installed OSX 10.6.7 however upon updating to 10.6.8 I get immediate kernel panic, even after using every conceivable combination of boot flags, including:

Cpus=1 Busration=18 PCIRoot=1 Maxmem=2048 -x -v -s etc etc

After a lot of heavy reading on insanelymac and osx86 I have downloaded a patched kernel that promises to fix the problem

I have two questions:

1. Can I replace the mach_kernel with my new taptun_kernel (placed on desktop after initial install) even though I can't boot into -s to get to terminal ?

2. If not, can I re-install OSX 10.6.7 and replace the kernel before update ?

I guess I have three, sorry :)

Once I succesfully replace the kernel, do I need to leave the file on the desktop or can I delete it ? Do I move it somewhere ?

Thanks!

1. Use your macbook pro with an adapter to move the kernel to root. You will want to rename it to "mach_kernel" and also open up a terminal session and run this, where *hackintosh* is the name of your hackintosh drive

Code:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/*hackintosh*/mach_kernel
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/*hackintosh*/mach_kernel

2. If you do not have the adapter you can reinstall the system and the update, just dont click the restart button on the updater yet. You will want to move your kernel to the root of the drive and make sure it is named "mach_kernel". This would be a good time to run MultiBeast and install your kexts. Anyway, run this in terminal:

Code:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /mach_kernel
sudo chmod -R 755 /mach_kernel

3. This one is up to you, but I ALWAYS keep my current kernel and kexts i had installed backed up to the desktop, should an error happen and I need to single user mode into the drive to fix the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back