Contribute
Register

Replacing graphics card with minimal effort?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-P55-USB3 rev1.0
CPU
Core i5-760
Graphics
R9 280X (was HD 5770)
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Classic
  4. LC
  5. Performa
  6. Plus
  7. Power Mac
  8. Quadra
  9. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

I'm not sure if this topic should be here or in the post-installation/graphics section.

I have a working build with 10.9 which is also my gaming PC (2nd HDD, non dual boot). ;)
Now my HD 5770 seems a bit outdated and I want to upgrade the graphics card.
I would like to have minimal effort with that, which means it should work out of the box: remove old video card, install new video card

I've chosen the HD 5770, because it was also in the Mac Pro and drivers were available.
Therefore I checked the compatibility list and it seems that the Gigabyte GTX 760 (GV-N760OC-2GD) has a good value for me.

Does anybody have gathered some experience yet in replacing AMD by Nvidia in an existing installation?

Or are there some recommendations like "OMG, don't buy this card or you're lost!" :D

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I'm not sure if this topic should be here or in the post-installation/graphics section.

I have a working build with 10.9 which is also my gaming PC (2nd HDD, non dual boot). ;)
Now my HD 5770 seems a bit outdated and I want to upgrade the graphics card.
I would like to have minimal effort with that, which means it should work out of the box: remove old video card, install new video card

I've chosen the HD 5770, because it was also in the Mac Pro and drivers were available.
Therefore I checked the compatibility list and it seems that the Gigabyte GTX 760 (GV-N760OC-2GD) has a good value for me.

Does anybody have gathered some experience yet in replacing AMD by Nvidia in an existing installation?

Or are there some recommendations like "OMG, don't buy this card or you're lost!" :D

Thanks in advance

If you're running Mavericks the 760 will work out of box with GE=No which is the default setting
now for the current Multibeast. No muss no fuss, just shut down install and reboot. If you've got
GE set to Yes just use the boot flag GraphicsEnabler=No to boot the first time. Then change it
permanently in the Org.chameleon.boot.plist

Update:

I purchased an MSI R9 280X in August, replaced the HD 5770 and everything keeps working. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back