Contribute
Register

Replace motherboard for Thunderbolt compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new build without a discrete graphics card would work just fine with your Corsair TX650M PSU. Plenty of scope to add components/devices to the build with that PSU.

No you don't need to add a discrete GPU to the new build.

The Intel IGPU on a 10th-series CPU (UHD630) should work for you just as well as the old HD4600 IGPU has worked, just better.

If the CPU you purchase doesn't come with a stock cooler then a third-party CPU cooler will be essential. Have a read of this 'Review' on CPU coolers for 10th-Gen CPU's, for an idea of what is available. You would probably want to look at the Air coolers in the review.

Just make sure you don't purchase a CPU with the 'F' designation, as those CPU's don't have a built-in IGPU. You would need a discrete GPU with such a CPU, e.g. i7-10700KF.

The i7-10700K on the other hand would have a built-in IGPU.

Dear Ed
I decided to go with a fresh build following Casey's z490 golden build. I have run into an issue and can't seem to find an answer. I did post a query but it has not been answered as of yet. Basically I created the USB install correctly and when I go to boot from opencore bootpicker it starts the install but stops and goes to a black screen. I am wondering if it is graphics related? Stumped. I ended up putting my old mobo back in for now until I can get an answer on this.
Cheers
Will

Dear Ed
I decided to go with a fresh build following Casey's z490 golden build. I have run into an issue and can't seem to find an answer. I did post a query but it has not been answered as of yet. Basically I created the USB install correctly and when I go to boot from opencore bootpicker it starts the install but stops and goes to a black screen. I am wondering if it is graphics related? Stumped. I ended up putting my old mobo back in for now until I can get an answer on this.
Cheers
Will

Hi there.

If using @CaseySJ 's EFI for your new rig, you will likely need to modify the DeviceProperties setting for the iGPU, as that build used an RX580 discrete GPU, however he has thought of that ...

In the zipped EFI folders Casey supplies you will see two config.plist options. The one you need is - config-Intel-iGPU.plist - just rename it to config.plist etc. and try that.

:)

Hi there.

If using @CaseySJ 's EFI for your new rig, you will likely need to modify the DeviceProperties setting for the iGPU, as that build used an RX580 discrete GPU, however he has thought of that ...

In the zipped EFI folders Casey supplies you will see two config.plist options. The one you need is - config-Intel-iGPU.plist - just rename it to config.plist etc. and try that.

Hi there, Thanks for replying. I did that actually. At least I think I did it correctly. I downloaded the zipped EFI, changed the name of it to EFI , opened it and there are 2 .plist in OC folder. One for IGPU and one for discrete. I changed the name of the ICPU one to Config.plist and then opened it in open configurator and changed the few settings in the guide. Kind of stumped. Should I delete the AMD plist? :eek:

Should I delete the AMD plist? :eek:

No need, as long as you renamed the iGPU one to "config.plist" - no capitals - as that is all OpenCore reads.

The version of OpenCore Configurator being used has to match the version of OpenCore you are using, otherwise the layout will be incorrect.

And, of course, success can also depend on the settings you changed.

By all means zip and upload the EFI you were using and we can check it. Remember to blank-out your personal serial-number first though.

No need, as long as you renamed the iGPU one to "config.plist" - no capitals - as that is all OpenCore reads.

The version of OpenCore Configurator being used has to match the version of OpenCore you are using, otherwise the layout will be incorrect.

And, of course, success can also depend on the settings you changed.

By all means zip and upload the EFI you were using and we can check it. Remember to blank-out your personal serial-number first though.

Hi again,
I attached the zip of EFI. Wasn't sure how to blank out serial . No matter.
I used Z490-VISION-D-EFI-NDK-58-V2 zip version of Open Core. 0.5.8 i think. And the most recent version of Open Config. version 2.64 ? I think. If this is incorrect ,then how do I know which version works with 0.5.8?
followed the guide closely so I think I have everything correct..
Thanks again

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 19
Hi again,
I attached the zip of EFI. Wasn't sure how to blank out serial . No matter.
I used Z490-VISION-D-EFI-NDK-58-V2 zip version of Open Core. 0.5.8 i think. And the most recent version of Open Config. version 2.64 ? I think. If this is incorrect ,then how do I know which version works with 0.5.8?
followed the guide closely so I think I have everything correct..
Thanks again
Please check SecureBootModel in Misc —> Security. If it is Disabled, change it to Default — and vice-versa.

Securebootmode in the Bios?
I don't see it under Misc. In the Boot menu there is a securebootmode . Is this it. There is a secure boot enable which I can enable or disable.
and there is secure boot mode which can be standard or custom.
Also you mention
  • Initial Display Output → PCIe 1 Slot (if GPU in slot 1) or IGFX (if using iGPU to display monitor) .The only way I can get this to appear is by enabling CSM support. Then it shows up. But as soon as I disable CSM it vanishes again. Does this matter?
Really appreciate the help. I am not an expert by any means.
Thanks
Will

Disregard above . I found it in Open core config. I think maybe I am was using the incorrect version of OC config. Utter Disbelief mentioned that the version of open core has to match the version of oc config. How do I know what will work with what. i tried above and now am getting an error saying " config requires vault but no vault provided". I went and downloaded version 2.5 of oc config , it says it works with version 0.7.4 of OC. Still no joy though. Getting the error regarding the vault

renderTimingPixel.png

Disregard above . I found it in Open core config. I think maybe I am was using the incorrect version of OC config. Utter Disbelief mentioned that the version of open core has to match the version of oc config. How do I know what will work with what. i tried above and now am getting an error saying " config requires vault but no vault provided". I went and downloaded version 2.5 of oc config , it says it works with version 0.7.4 of OC. Still no joy though. Getting the error regarding the vault

renderTimingPixel.png
Set Misc --> Security --> Vault --> Optional then save config.plist.

The title bar of OpenCore Configurator will state which version of OpenCore it is supporting. We just need to ensure that it's the right version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back