Core i7-6500U
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 520 (1920x1080)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

is it possible to replace the wifi module in the GA-Z170N-WIFI-1.0 with a BCM94360CD?

I will build a new computer using a bitfenix prodigy and the GA-Z170N-WIFI. But if possible I want to go with a discrete GPU. So it would be nice if I get the BCM94360CD working without using a PCIe adapter.

If the BCM94360CD can not be used with the GA-Z170N-WIFI: Is there another wifi module which is compatible?

BR, Rain

Last edited:
You need to find out what type of connector the existing Wifi card uses.

If it's an M.2 slot, you can use cards like the Dell DW1560 or DW1830.

If it's a mini PCI-e, you can use an adaptor and use one of the BCM94360 based cards pulled from Macs.

Ok I ended up purchasing the wrong card. Now I want to try again ^^.

The DW 1830 needs 3 antennas connected otherwise it will be destroyed, because it features three active radio transmission and receive units. The GA-Z170N-WIFI Rev. 2.0 has only. two antennas.

The DW 1560 is a dual band M.2 card with two antennas. But I find many Reports that people have issues get the card running on GA-Z170N-WIFI.

Since a lot of time has passed, are there other M.2 cards today which fully support Wifi and Bluetooth. Sadly M.2 modules are not covered in the buyers guide.

Thanks for your replay.

Ok I ended up purchasing the wrong card. Now I want to try again ^^.

The DW 1830 needs 3 antennas connected otherwise it will be destroyed, because it features three active radio transmission and receive units. The GA-Z170N-WIFI Rev. 2.0 has only. two antennas.

The DW 1560 is a dual band M.2 card with two antennas. But I find many Reports that people have issues get the card running on GA-Z170N-WIFI.

Since a lot of time has passed, are there other M.2 cards today which fully support Wifi and Bluetooth. Sadly M.2 modules are not covered in the buyers guide.

Thanks for your replay.

I'm using an Apple Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card with an M.2 adapter. It works great and didn't need any kexts or patches to get working. I posted my experiences here.

I'm using an Apple Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card with an M.2 adapter. It works great and didn't need any kexts or patches to get working. I posted my experiences here.

This sounds really promising. Maybe I will take the same route/parts than you did.

Thanks again for the great answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back