Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Cheers everybody! Since my ssd is not playing nice with monterey i bought a new m2 ssd.
I tried replacing it like this:
-Put the new ssd in a usb c enclosure
-formated to apfs
-used carbon copy clone to clone my boot drive over
-manually copied the efi folder with opencore to the efi partition of the new drive

After that i swapped the ssds… on first try it did not boot the opencore bootloader at all, when i got into the boot picker it does not show the new ssd drive as a bootable option.

I am sure i have to do somerthing to the cloned drive to make it bootable internally…
I did not find any guide that truly fits this situation. Thank you for any help!!

Cheers everybody! Since my ssd is not playing nice with monterey i bought a new m2 ssd.
I tried replacing it like this:
-Put the new ssd in a usb c enclosure
-formated to apfs
-used carbon copy clone to clone my boot drive over
-manually copied the efi folder with opencore to the efi partition of the new drive

After that i swapped the ssds… on first try it did not boot the opencore bootloader at all, when i got into the boot picker it does not show the new ssd drive as a bootable option.

I am sure i have to do somerthing to the cloned drive to make it bootable internally…
I did not find any guide that truly fits this situation. Thank you for any help!!
See post #33.793

I thought legacy boot wasn‘t the right thing for uefi booting… thats why i did not use it…

The so-called "legacy" bootable is called legacy by Mike Bombich, maker of CCC. Apple calls it the apfs replication utility, or some such.

It got demoted to "legacy" because CCC can't integrate it with the main selling point of CCC, which is the maintenance of incremental bootable backups.

Traditionally CCC let's you incrementally backup a bootable clone. This is efficient because only changes are copied and handy because you have a full working system drive backup. It worked with a modified form of rsync.

APFS signed system volume makes CCC's modified rsync copier impossible for incrementals because changing the SSV on the target breaks the seal; so it can only rsync the Data partition.

There are SW version dependencies between the Data volume and the SSV. As Apple updates are applied to the SSV but not the clone, the incrementally updated clone Data volume gets out of sync with any copy of the SSV on the clone. Basically, incremental cloning is impossible.

SSV is a big gain for Apple: they ensure code integrity to protect their services, they more completely control the core software config, and the system becomes more reliable and maintainable for their service providers. They offset the user constraints by making drives faster and more reliable via tailored NVMe units that are soldered in. Overall customer experience gets better, less need for a tool like CCC.

This is where apfs replicator comes into picture: Apfs replicator can handle cloning a drive but it just wipes the destination and copies everything, letting users make a full clone to migrate system on devices with replaceable drives. There's one big gotcha: If there's any kind of error during the replication, all it can do it is quit, because a data error may break the seal of the SSV which renders the target unviable.

Apple's preferred approach to is Migration Assistant. They want the device to generally not break; they expect the customer to replace the entire device, not just the drive; and Repairs replace the whole mainboard. Migration Assistant represents a bright line between Apple data and customer data that lets Apple control the transition of customer data related to Apple apps across generations of OS.

This all is great (for Apple and customers who like Apple), but is a huge pain (vs gain) for Bombich's CCC value proposition, which is about helping users make handy bootable rescue drives. Bombich was forced (directed) to abandon the whole-drive cloning approach and make only Data volume clones, and recommend Recovery Assistant to reinstall OS straight from Apple and Migration Assistent to bring user data in from the clone. Same as Time Machine. This is why he calls the Apfs replicator "legacy". it's not supportable by Bombich in the way he wants to understand support.

This has lead to much confusion.

What users most need to understand about Apfs replicator was mentioned above. It cannot tolerate drive read errors. So it's useless in an emergency of a failing drive, whereas this was a go-to application of CCC clone. Moreover, user is likely to discover failing drive when using replicator! So again, "legacy".

If Apfs replicator fails assume your drive has errors and investigate. Which brings us all back around to concerns of drive quality, vetting of devices for use in hacks, and the general condition of Apple's iPhoning of the Mac.

Luckily the savvy user still has the tools needed, when used in combination.

• Apfs replicator works. CCC is a convenient way to access it for now, but it's part of macOS and likely will remain such.

• Recovery Assistant (for Apple devices)

• Migration Assistant

• CCC, which can skip and report files with read-errors on Data volume.

We just need to think through backup and recovery plans. But this should be no problemo for hack aficionado.

HTH

Wow, thank you for the detailed explanation! I am always amazed at the knowledge and helpfulness in this forum.
@JimmakoS: I can‘t even say how many times you have helped me with one of your posts!
Worked perfectly! Fast boot time again!
Cheers
Fleisch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back