Contribute
Register

repeated crashing/spinning beach ball of death, is my SSD faulty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU
core i5 2500K
Graphics
Radeon 5700
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
OS X repeatedly crashes on me anyhwere between 10 and 45 mins after restarting. I get a sbbod, the computer is unresponsive and can only be restarted using the power button. The system was stable for months and I haven't installed any kexts or software updates for months. I noticed on one of the first occasions, that my boot SSD wasn't recognized upon startup just after crashing. I tried updating to 10.7.4 from 10.7.2, I also tried connecting the SSD to different SATA ports > still crashing regularly. I cloned the SSD to an old HDD and booted from that and it appears to be stable, which suggests to me that it's an issue with the SSD.

My SSD is a 64 GB crucial m4 with TRIM enabled in OS X. Has anyone else had similar problems? Will a firmware update fix this or should I get a replacement SSD (should still be on warranty as it's less than a year old)?

I have the exact same issue you have described. My system has been stable for months and then all of a sudden constant beach ball crashes 15min -1hr after reboot, and can only be rebooted from the power button. I also have a 128gb M4 crucial sad and I am wondering if it too is faulty, as on restart sometimes it appears to be not recognised in the bios and will display "BOOT DISK ERROR", i reset and its fine for a bit but inevitably the beach ball appears. Did you get this sorted out?

I have the exact same issue you have described. My system has been stable for months and then all of a sudden constant beach ball crashes 15min -1hr after reboot, and can only be rebooted from the power button. I also have a 128gb M4 crucial sad and I am wondering if it too is faulty, as on restart sometimes it appears to be not recognised in the bios and will display "BOOT DISK ERROR", i reset and its fine for a bit but inevitably the beach ball appears. Did you get this sorted out?

I'm having the exact same issue on the exact same hardware on OS X 10.8.2 + Supplemental, except that I never get the boot disk error, just the spinning beach ball and progressive freezing of every open application. I'm working with OnyX now to clean up some caches etc but I'm open to trying any suggestions. Anyone have any ideas?

Just learned about the hang after 5000 hours issue for Crucial M4 (from this thread) and updated my M4 firmware to 010G. So far so good, but we'll see how it holds. Thanks.

Thanks, had the same problem. Updated to 000f and everything is working again.

Waiting for crucial to release a new update to address the 010G issues on UEFI boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back